Carburator

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ranchero Richard, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Ranchero Richard

Ranchero Richard SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Morning guys. This is my first post. I am running a 73, 351C with a Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holly 600 CFM. Have had it on for a few years, but always fought intermittent carb problems. Finally yesterday bit the bullet and picked up a new Holly Hi-Performance Carburator 600 CFM. Basically plug and play. No float adjustments, only air/ mixture and curb idle adjustments. Bolted on started, and car sounds and runs best in years, no black smoke, or black stains on garage floor. Am very happy so far.

Now my question. when I had the carb off I noticed a vacuum line that I had plugged probably years ago, the line goes to a vacuum device on the water pump. The device has two vacuum lines connected to it, both are disconnected, I realize that they should be hooked to vacuum but what do they do? I do not have any cooling problems.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

It is a coolant PVS (Ported Vacuum Switch) in all likelihood that was used from the factory to control spark advance during cold and hot conditions. With the other changes that you have have made and since it has been plugged for a long time you could remove the hoses and just leave them open or cap them. None of my cars use them so I just install a plug in place of the PVS.

3. Ranchero Richard

Ranchero Richard SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Appreciate reply. I did not think it was causing a problem. Will do as you suggested and remove,