Carburetor advice

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

I have a 72 Rancero with a 351 C. It currently has a 2 bbl but am going to change to a 4 bbl next week. I have been told that Holley, Edelbrock and quick fuel are the best by three different shops. I need you guys expertise on what to buy. The car is for cruising and car shows and not for racing. Your help is appreciated.

2. Sparkes442

Sparkes442 In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

I put a Holley on my 1966 Ranchero with a 91 Mustang GT 5.0 (converted to carb). Ran great right out of the box. Holley's are easy to work on to change jets, etc. Don't know how the throttle linkage is on a 72 Ranchero but Holleys and Edelbrocks may require a custom linkage from the pedal assembly to the carb. Easy to do.

Attached Files:

Cindy likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

I replaced the top of my '73 351c 4V engine with these:

Edelbrock Performer Series 600 CFM, Square-Flange, Electric Choke, part #1406. [link]
    Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapters for Performer Carburetors, part #1483. [link]
    Edelbrock Performer 351-4V (non-EGR), part #2665. [link]
    Fel-Pro Valley Pan Gaskets, part #MS96012 [link]
    ARP Chromoly Intake Manifold Bolt Kits, part #154-2104 [link]​

That combination shaved 100 pounds off the engine and I'm getting the best mileage out of a gallon of fuel that I've seen. Might want to check into this, see what you think.

4. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Here is the same full size image, but posted in a much more convenient way:

[​IMG]

If you are interested in learning how to properly embed an image in a post, please click the link in my signature.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Edelbrocks are cheap and easy to work on.
    If you want to be able to tune the carb to your engine, the Holley is a good choice.
    Of the three, the Quickfuel is hands down the best carb of the group. It is the carb of choice for most serious tuners.

6. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

Mike, thank you for all of the information. It is extremely helpful

7. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

On my '72 I basically went with the same Edelbrock set up as Mike. I could not be happier with the results, both in power and fuel economy. Going this route I think you will be very happy with the end results.
    Good Luck,
    Dan

8. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

My '65 289 has an Edelbrock Performer series on it. Edelbrocks have a reputation for being prone to getting gunked up, and mine has. But they also carry a reputation for being very easy to work on - and they are. Anyway, I'm pleased with mine.

9. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I went with a 2bbl Holley for now for my '69 302. Running great and always starts right up.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine has FACTORY written all over mine, but for the choke problem, she fired right off and idled.

11. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

I got. My car back yesterday after buying an air gap edelbrock intake and a Holley 670 double pumper carb. It runs awesome and absolutely will fry the tires when put to the floor. So much fun to drive.

12. RonchoMike

RonchoMike In First Gear

Edelbrock Performer series. Very user friendly. I have one on my 351M. Primary and secondary jets are different. So keep track of which ones go where, when you pull it apart for cleaning and overhaul. Great Carb !!!

13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've had both a Holley and an Edelbrock on the same engine. For everyday driving, I found the Edelbrock is a far better carb. Bolt it on & go. Just don't be tempted to get more carb than you need. 500-600 cfm ought to be plenty for your 351 if it's mostly stock.

14. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

bought the summit carb a few years back, great price, put it on, set the idle and havent touched it since...absolutely the best bang for the buck I've ever spent on the engine.'

10.9 (1) [1600x1200].JPG