Carlisle nationals

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Saff54, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Afternoon all,planning on going to the nationals June 3-5,anyone else going?planning on spending the following week in Pennsylvania for vacation,any suggestions on places to stay or go?as always thanks in advance!

As Is '66 likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've been wanting to go to Carlisle for years, but lack of money puts the kibosh on it. It would give me the ability to go to places in PA we lived when I was a toddler, and go over to Rhode Island to visit where I was born.

As Is '66 likes this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Mark, there's a restaurant near Reading called "Shady Maple Smorgasbord" - if you don't eat there, you're missing the greatest food/meal in the whole state!! It's a "must do".
    I've taken the 4 hour ride there JUST to eat. :oops:

As Is '66 likes this.
  4. Saff54

Thanks Phil,I’ll be sure to check it out!looking forward to it!

5. Saff54

One of the members here has a 72 that he said he was as working on to take it for the 50th anniversary,it’s how I learned about it,but can’t remember who it was,sucks to get old!was hoping to stop by and meet him while we’re there

As Is '66 likes this.
  6. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

dittos on "Shady Maple Smorgasbord".

As Is '66 and pmrphil like this.
  7. handy_andy_cv64

Are you talking about Jeff Mikuletzki? I can't remember his username, but he built a Fishmouth 'Sedan Delivery Sport.' I've seen it on Facebook; looks really cool.

As Is '66 likes this.
  8. Saff54

Hey Andy,not sure what his name is,I remember him saying he was working on his 72 he was taking for the 50th anniversary ,I’m gonna try to find it again

As Is '66 likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

10. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

That is an inspired design for a sedan delivery. Not so stodgy-looking as a standard wagon. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

As Is '66 likes this.
  12. Saff54

Looking forward to seeing it in person,so ready for a vacation!6 hour trip from mortgage mountain to Carlyle,about the same as my morning commute into Boston!I wonder how many cheros will be there?

As Is '66 likes this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

I don't know, but there's supposed to be a ton of Fishmouth Torino's. Of course, pics....

As Is '66 likes this.
  14. plumcolr

Would love to go, only about 170 miles, but dunno about affording a tank of gas.

15. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Usually some nice chero's up in FCA section, think near gate 3.
    Only a couple hour ride for me but have other stuff to do this year. Keep getting mine together would like to hit York, Pa July 9th for FCA nationals.

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The entire trip would cost you about $34 more than a year ago, assuming you got around 20 mpg.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Even with a two-barrel carb and 2.47:1 rear gears, I can eke out 16. If he has a Falcon Chero, definitely 20+.

TestDummy likes this.
  18. plumcolr

What rots my sox is the PA turnpike tolls trebling in the last 5 years. Now about $35 round trip. They put in a fancy plate scan, pay by mail system and did away with toll collectors. Guess it and the - ahem - vig cost more than expected.

Dyno and TestDummy like this.
  19. Saff54

Back from Carlyle!unflipping believable!80 acres packed with cars,but honestly it should have been called the mustang nationals,so many stangs and don’t get me wrong I love them too,but out of 3600 plus cars I think 30% were stangs and not old stangs ,newer ones,2010 plus,beautiful but…we walked 10 miles in 2 days so if ya plan on going next year make sure ya have some good walking shoes,acres and acres of used parts,found some treasures,NOS tailgate emblem,4 GTdog dishes,and a front grille that was in great shape,didn’t need it but the price was too good to pass up,another vendor had an NOS grille with no bars,not much better than the one I found once I shine it up and he wanted 3k!didn’t see Jeff’s Torino,the place was just so big you can’t see it all in 2 days,and out of all the cars there only 8 rancheros!and no 67s!definitely coming back next year and trailering my Chero,joined the fair lane club while we were there,great bunch of guys,and yup Phil we went to shady maple for dinner,well worth the trip!went to Lancaster and Gettysburg after,wifes a history buff and honestly I was getting goosebumps when we toured all the battlefields,hard to fathom the losses in just 3 days,spent plenty of tourist dollars to help the Pennsylvania economy!but as they say:There’s no place like home! D30990BE-EAA2-4E60-A162-C7A6F02B1997.jpeg

Attached Files:

pmrphil and Boiler92 like this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

You got some nice scores there. In the last 25 years, people have been jumping on the "it's old so it's big Rancherobuxx" bandwagon. I can understand paying for your trip, but if it doesn't sell because you won't deal, what's the point in going? It needs to be verifiably special to get big bucks.