Chevy abs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by ramair428cjxr7, Aug 25, 2017.

1. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

Was just gifted a 02 S10. Abs not working, the pump does not seam to come on ever .Pedal goes to floor but does stop truck .Does the module attached to top of pump turn pump on ? Or does it control fluid flow . Thanks It may not be a FORD but it's black with centerline's lol

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

If there's air in the module but it is still trying to work, you should hear it attempt to engage (solenoids clicking) and probably feel it trying too. Not sure about Chevy, but my dumb Dodge needs to be bled via a starscan thingy that's usually a dealer service. Have you tried stomping the brakes to try to engage the ABS? The module failing with no other issue would just result in no ABS, but still braking power. Going to the floor means air in the lines or a bad MC.

Of course check for leaks and fluid level. Fully bleed it regardless, it's good to have fresh fluid in it.

3. ramair428cjxr7

If I smash pedal to floor. I do hear I guess it's air or the system trying to work . Thanks. It sounds like I might want to start with a new m c ,. It's my son's to and fro for college for me. I would wing it for him. We fix it.

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. ramair428cjxr7

I'm just not versed on fancy abs units lol

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The pedal shouldn't go to the floor because of a bad ABS pump. It's probably a bad master, a leak, or no fluid. There should also be a fault light on the dash if the ABS is bad.

6. ForistellFord

I would start with a full bleed first. If you're lucky the issue is air in the lines down by the wheels, rather than air in the stupid ABS module. If you replace the MC, be sure to fully bench bleed it and disconnect the battery during the swap so the ABS module doesn't try to engage and suck air into it.

I'm not an ABS pro either, just had baptism by fire and that crap sticks in your brain.

7. ramair428cjxr7

The dash ABS light is on solid .The M C is full with clean fluid .All the serching around I did led me to believe the pump should be making noise at some point .There was some mention of faulty soldiering in the sensor on top .

8. ramair428cjxr7

It acts like a older car with bad booster .I just don't know the job of the pump and sensor or how they work together if they do

9. ForistellFord

The light on the dash indicates an ABS fault, not necessarily an ABS module malfunction. There are sensors at the wheel and other locations that are monitored as part of the ABS system, and the pedal to the floor is also a likely trigger. So you can't automatically assume ABS module. Example, the ABS light on my van comes on at times, but it is likely just a sensor because the system works fine. Your first job is to figure out why the pedal is to the floor. Fresh full fluid in the reservoir is a clear indication in my opinion that it is leaking somewhere and the previous owners recently filled it up. Fluid darkens over time as it becomes contaminated, so clear fluid doesn't stay clear all that long.

A bad booster would make braking much more difficult, but it wouldn't send the pedal to the floor.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. ramair428cjxr7

That's what I was thinking. That's why I threw in there clean fluid to see what u all thought

11. ramair428cjxr7

I'm thinking the woman was told by her mechanic How much it is to repair a ABS system and she gave it to me . Not knowing. The whole system does not need to be replaced

12. ForistellFord

Well, you hold the answer in your hand. Get out there and let us know what the issue is! :cool:

13. ramair428cjxr7

Will do. Thanks again for the help

14. ForistellFord

Just remember, disco the battery before the bleed just to be safe. Not having the key in may be good enough, but I don't like to take chances.

15. ramair428cjxr7

Yeah. I try to stay away from the dealers

16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

One: is it the Moraine unit that's on the fender well? That's the one with the stylized 'M' molded into the cover. If so, it needs a scan tool to purge air from its inner workings, but it does not affect purging air from the base hydraulic brakes. Two, if it's the rear-only ABS, there is a bleeder on the side; I bleed it first, then the right rear, only as my preference. Others may do it differently.

17. ramair428cjxr7

Cool. I'm at work. Thanks for info. I will check when I get home

18. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Ramair. Is it a Kelsey Hayes Abs? You need a TECH2 scanner to bleed Abs. You can bleed normally, but you won't get the air out if the abs. If the abs light is on, the system will not be working, this is why the pump won't come on. These units have a dry solder joint issue in the module. YouTube it for instructions on how to open up and fix. Once you get the light to stay Off, you will be able to bleed the unit. Without a tech2 scanner, find a gravel road and slam brakes on to activate abs, then rebleed. You can buy Chinese tech2 scanner on eBay for a few hundred bucks. I have one and it did the job. Hope this helps.

19. ramair428cjxr7

Yes. It is a Kelsey Hayes unit And I did see those instructions on you tube . I'm hoping that it doesn't need bleeding .I just could never find out if those broken soldier joints shut the system down. Or just made dash light come on

20. ramair428cjxr7

I went to 2 pick in pull and out of 15 s10s and 10 blasers every module was gone lol. I think u can get them for 10 bucks resolder and sell for 100.00