Choke Tube Help

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GBH Jon, Sep 23, 2019.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I'm thinking about fitting an insulated spacer under the stock carb [2100] on my 74. Getting some heat soak probs, but this will render the choke hot tube too short.......is is possible to tweak/open the bend up enough to make the difference......or do I need the tube at all. Thanks all.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I believe that's probably 1/4" steel tubing? No reason you couldn't cut it and put a joint in the middle. Just measure what you have, and head to the hardware store. Find a place to make the cut that won't interfere with other parts.

3. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Brake line!!

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

If you want to maintain the stock look, CJ Pony carries a choke tube kit, Was $25.99 when I ordered mine.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There should have been a spacer under it anyway, with the EGR valve attached, even on the 351C. So if yours didn't have a spacer at all, a pipe from one of the parts vendors for your engine with EGR spacer should work.

6. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

As a backup, you could also replace the choke element with an electric version.

7. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Interesting......definitely no spacer fitted......just to confirm, its a 400m 1974 stock Motorcraft 2100.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

upload_2019-9-24_9-14-19.png

Looks like this

9. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

That's what I did. The PO just had the heat tube hanging down on the side of the engine block. I figured it wasn't doing anything just lying there, and converted to an electric choke.

Joseph

10. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Definitely haven't got that fitted......what I believe to be the EGR valve is fitted directly to the inlet between the carb and oil sensor.

11. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Cant tell from the picture what that is but every 3512v ford manifold I have seen uses a egr/carb spacer plate not a manifold mounted EGR

13. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Different angle......
    [​IMG]

14. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Done some digging and according to Ford's 1974 Car Shop Manual some V8s used a floor entry valve mounted on the intake, while others used a spacer. More digging required.........

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I have only seen one other intake made like that. I like it compared to the spacer under the carb version. Less heat right under the base of the carb.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, yes, interesting; the casting has a built-up area that takes the place of the spacer. You can source a thicker carb gasket (it's 4-5mm thick or just a bit thicker, and it should offer enough heat protection whilst still allowing your current choke heat tube to be used, with slight bending to fit it. And if that's not to your liking on the tube, Edelbrock makes a choke thermostat kit (#1474, I think?) that will fit on your carb; it's 12 volts, though, so it needs wiring in. That's what I've done on my 2150.

17. colnago

Explain, please? I would think that there would be more heat, since the carb is bolted right up to the manifold, instead of having a thermal insulator between them.

Joseph

18. handy_andy_cv64

The intakes with the spacer, have two gaskets, one a graphite-covered steel, ant the other, under the carb itself, is paper. So, it makes a fairly good barrier to heat traveling up, and less heat-holding metal for the carb to be sitting on.

colnago likes this.
  19. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I've ordered a couple of Fel Pro thick gaskets, will have a go at stacking them to see if that helps. BTW it's an electrically assisted choke, does this mean I could do away with the heat tube is necessary?... the American V8 learning curve is continuing...........

20. colnago

That's what I did. The heat tube was just lying along the side of the engine block, so I removed it and capped off the inlet on the carb. Then I installed an electronic choke element, and wired it up to the generator.

Joseph