Chrome

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by stabmasterarson, Jun 12, 2020.

1. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

A lot of my Chrome is rough shape. Specifically, the air cleaner lid, the headlight bezels and the bumpers. Has anyone else had their Chrome re-plated? I got a quote on the air cleaner lid and it was $250. It's going to cost me a fortune to have everything done. The problem might be that I don't think there is many companies that do it in my area (Vancouver, BC) so there isn't much competition. Maybe there's somewhere I can ship my parts to that's for cheaper? Is there a home plating kit that I can do it myself with? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Good chrome plating is expensive. Have you tried sourcing replacements as an alternative?

Dyno likes this.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Give Advanced Plating a call at ( 800-588-6686 ) or check their site ( http://www.advancedplating.com ) Nothing but good words about them from me, not cheap but highest quality work on all metal repair and plating. Then you have Bubba Moon, The Chrome Wizard. ( 615-443-3232 ). I have just checked out his customer reviews and have to wonder just what in Hades is going on. I have always got exactly what I specified quality wise and got the work on time for the price we agreed on from Bubba. He is located close enough to me that I deliver and pick up my plating projects at his shop in person. I don't understand his crappy reviews, I suspect the competition has a vendetta against him for some obscure reason. Bubba's work is just as good as Advanced.

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Might check with some local restoration shops... I had mine done in Mexico... Bumpers, rails, hood & Fender trim... was about a grand. They would go up the I-5 and pickup, and return a few weeks later. Just not sure how far up they go. I don't think the coatings are as thick, but very happy with the way it turned out.

5. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Has any tried the products "hydrochome" or "easy Chrome"?