Classic car stereos in my 1979 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Ranchero 1979, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ranchero 1979

Ranchero 1979 In Second Gear

Looking at installing a new radio in my Ranchero. Classic has one, # USA230. Looks like an easy swap but I know how that goes. I would also get new dash speakers from Classic, kicker CS series duel dash mount speakers. I do have a dash pad, will the sound go through ok? I really only listen to talk radio so do not need all the fancy stuff. I am 80 and wear hearing aids.
    Thanks Howard

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

MAC's shows the #USA-630 AM/FM.. 72-79, 42-86568, $239.99... fits in existing position without modification (it says). Might have more options then you are looking for.

Also: 72-79 Ranchero Dash Mount Speakers, 42-82048, $45.99 ea.

3. Ranchero 1979

Thanks, I looked at that one. Looks like the one I am looking at but like you said it has more option then the cheaper one, maybe I should spend the extra $50 bucks. I will see, might invest in new door gaskets first. Hell working on a tight bubget.

4. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Make sure you install "bass blocker" capacitors inline on the positive speaker wires running to each 3.5" speaker(IIRC they are 3.5" speakers), if you run them "full range" they will not last. IMO, install a single coaxial 6x9 in the dash using the "-" from the left front speaker and "+"from the right front stereo wiring. You will have more sound and better sound output. Just an FYI and hope this helps

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had a like new one of these, in the OG box, until I moved to VA in 2007. It's one of my many possessions that disappeared during the move. supert.JPG

Buddy Porter likes this.
  6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I had one of those in my 74 Gran Torino 4 dr. I had the 8 track version it was stolen and bought the cassette to replace it. great little radio!

7. Ranchero 1979

Thanks everyone for you input. I will have to wait till Christmas and put in my list to my son.