Commercial pickup or automobile body style?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by Moises urbina, Aug 31, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

What does Portland require? My wife and I had been thinking about Portland as a new home when I retire.

Joseph

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I really couldn't tell you the current requirements, as we got the Hell out of there 27 years ago. But back then it was a yearly 'sniffer up the tailpipe'' test. Google Oregon DEQ for more recent info.

And here's a funny story:
    When I met my future wife, she was poor, raising kids on her own, and driving a POS Toyota Corolla wagon that smoked like a BBQ. It was old enough that it didn't have to pass a sniff test, but had been denied new plates because of the smoke- you'd get a 'hashmark' sticker on your plates until it was corrected. So I drained ALL the oil out of it, and filled it back up with every 'no smoke' additive I could find, then drove it out to the DEQ station for inspection. After examining the car as it idled, the inspector said "I can SMELL oil, but I can't SEE it", and passed the car. I became a hero in my future wife's eyes, and the rest is our history.

FYI, Portland is not the town of 27 years ago, and I would advise you to reconsider a retirement location. Unless you seek riots, homeless throngs, massive over building, drugs, etc. My recommendation, if you enjoy outdoor sports, fresh air, excellent brew pubs and beautiful scenery would be either Hood River or Bend.

1965 Ranchero 66G and colnago like this.
  3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That is a pretty funny story.

Bend is a possibility. Doesn't it have the high-desert museum? Oregon's high-desert region is very different from California's. We were looking at Portland for multiple reasons, but among them was health care. We figured that as we aged, we would need access to hospitals, etc. Portland also has some amazing East-Indian restaurants, plus you can't miss with Powell's Book Store!

Joseph

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, Bend is where I would live if my wife would agree, but she was born & raised in the Portland area, and has relatives on the coast, so we aren't moving from our small town west of PDX. We have experienced all the Portland attractions you mentioned, and I would still recommend other places. There's plenty of health care in Bend too:

https://www.visitbend.com/about-bend-oregon/services/hospitals-medical-centers/

5. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I was kind of upset with our medical care during our recent earthquakes. We just had our hospital upgraded, so now it's a "regional hospital." Part of it being classified as "regional" is that they can only fill half the beds on a regular basis, just in case we have an emergency. So, with these earthquakes, we have an emergency. But because of the possibility of structural damage, they shut down our Emergency Room, and ship some of the patients out to nearby facilities. WTF?!? This is our hospital, for Pete's sake! This is our medical care, and they can't give medical care to our community? That got me really thinking that our valley, as much as I like it, may not be the location to stay in the long run.

Thanks for the link, by the way. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Joseph