Correct electrical source for electric choke

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Mcmahst, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Mcmahst

Mcmahst In Fourth Gear

Runs good, squirters working fine. Still has a little stumble off idle; I will set the choke a bit more more to the left of center. I set it at 2 marks, will try 3 and drive it tomorrow to work, only 4 miles, so as they say on Top Gear, "What could go wrong.". Thanks for the advice.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I surmise it is a little better though???

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Got's to be much better with the accelerator pump working. May need to compress the diaphragm a scootch more but it could just be air still in the passages. Dan, you want to make a sticky on Holley carbs ?
    ( http://holleytv.com )

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Done and thank you!!!!

5. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

to adjust the accelerator pump open the throttle all the way, adjust the pump lever where you have .015 (holley), biggest thing is to adjust where it wont bottom out 100% when throttle is at 100%, if you still have a slight amount of travel at 100% throttle you are pretty close and should be good enough. in normal throttle position there should be 0 slack with maybe just a slight bit of pressure.

6. Mcmahst

Mcmahst In Fourth Gear

I looked at tne cam engagement to the pump lever, and the pump is engaged just as the throttle plates move. There's no slack. In fact, there might be a small preload on the mechanism. For sure, I am not getting throttle plate initial movement without accelerator pump expelling fluid. But, I have to say, and I ain't no expert, but the amount of pump diaphragm movement seems very small. The pump level moves just a very small amount. If I get a chance, I will measure the total travel at the lever to cam- engaged linkage point. I doubt I will find a spec on that, but bases on the combined experience on the forum (i didnt say old, but who are we kidding), maybe you guys can evaluate what I have. I say this because, I have fuel movement, but who's to say it is adequate, not that the stock carb is insufficient, but maybe it is not working right. My vague memory is I expected the travel to be more than I visually see; that's based on some old carb and accelerator pump linkages. So, I'll try and do it once it cools off; it's 93 here in SoCal and I am enjoying the shade and NASCAR.

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If a little shot of gas comes out of the squirter when you crack the throttle then it is working.
    As I mentioned before, there is a cam kit that will change how much gas is injected when the throttle starts opening. The cam you have may be one designed for fuel economy.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

He was talking about normal transition from idle to low part-throttle, so his problem with the weight not coming out may have been the problem.But we won't know until he installs the carb and starts it.

9. Mcmahst

Mcmahst In Fourth Gear

I installed it and ran it today at 9am. I am doing the testing in the driveway cause I need to bleed the front brakes before I drive it. unfortantly, I wasn't able to do that today, so the road testing will have to wait. Driveway engine run up isn't the same as driving it. So, stayed tuned and thanks again.