Cowl block off plates

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by grebaba, Mar 21, 2019.

  1. grebaba

    grebaba In Third Gear

    Messages:
    188
    Hi
    While finishing up my digital dash I decided to make some cowl block off plates.
    My cowls were eaten up by the rust worm's.
    I went ahead and replaced all the rusted out parts including the hats.
    Since I pulled a perfectly good factory heat and air unit out and converted to a Vintage Air unit mainly to save weight.
    The VA unit is about 40 Lb's lighter then the stock unit and does not need the outside air to operate.
    Anyway Here is a picture of where I am starting. Just need to finish the outside edge and drill the holes.
    I will use the stock screen to go over the plates and hopefully nobody will notice.
    Greg
     

    Attached Files:

    TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

    TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

    Messages:
    22,089
    Location:
    C'Ville
    I'd recommend you try really hard to seal up the cowl completely. Whatever water gets in there would stay and get musty without ventilation. Other than that, nobody would notice those plates.
     
  3. grebaba

    grebaba In Third Gear

    Messages:
    188
    I was planning on useing a non hardening silcon on it.
    It will seal and still allow me to remove it if I have to work on the wiper motor assembly.
    I may pull it out after a year and see if I have any moisture buildup.
    Greg
     
  4. cbolt

    cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

    Messages:
    535
    Location:
    Palm Coast, FL
    I would love to see a mock up of what those will look like once in place.
     
  5. grebaba

    grebaba In Third Gear

    Messages:
    188
    Might do this today. Depends on how things work out.
    This is just the first try and will more then likely have to do more then one to get it just right.
    Greg
     
  6. grebaba

    grebaba In Third Gear

    Messages:
    188
    Part 2
    Here are a couple pictures of the first mock up.
    You will notice that I haven't put the clips in yet. I still have to prep and paint the engine compartment.
    I used 1/8 inch black lexan and with the protection paper pulled off you can't see the lexan.
    As I was hoping it looks like there is nothing there but the factory screens.
    Now if the weather will get up over the 70's for a few days I can get the paint gun out.
    Greg
     

    Attached Files:

    cbolt likes this.

Share This Page