Craigslist Morons super rare 1979 ford truck with factory installed 351 C

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 5.0 Chero, Jun 7, 2015.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

http://monterey.craigslist.org/pts/5055287714.html
    tried to tell this guy his motor was probly not a C here is is email string

Me
    are you sure its a Cleveland not a 351m, FORD stopped making and installing the C in 1974

Him

Im not a ford guy but after doing research i found that only the clevland engines came with a 8 bolt pattern vavle cover, thermostat housing not mounted to the intake manifold and fuel pump bolt in a vertical pattern. So im fairly sure its a clevland. I was not about to find a time period on when they offered the truck. Plus pulling up the information on the VIN number Ford says its a Clevland. So with that I'm 100% sure its a good running Clevland.

Me

not to be an ass but you need to do some more research just trying to help you so you do not misrepresent your motor 351M 400 used the same valve covers as the C use the info as you see fit and good luck on selling your motor

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Ford-351-Cleveland-Engines-Key-Facts-Information-/10000000001410755/g.html

The 351 "Modified" - 351M

351M: This engine was produced 1975-1982 as a 2V version only, and looks almost identical to the 351C. In reality, the 351M utilized a taller block shared with the 400 engine, so the engine is both taller and wider, requiring a wider intake manifold in comparison to the 351C. To distinguish a 351M or '75 and later 400 (sometimes termed 400M), look for the telltale vertical rib cast into the top of the block, which extends from the lifter galley over to the base of the distributor (see photographs). This rib accounts for the taller block deck and exists in the M versions only. Again, "M" is not the VIN tag designator for this engine; a 351M is not the same as the '70-71 "M code" 351C-4V engine.

Him

According to Ford they put the 351C in this truck according to the VIN number

pdw72 likes this.
  2. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

What we should do Carl, is get EVERYBODY on here, and some, to email him with the same question!! ...maybe then he'll get sick of answering and change the listing! ...sounds like he just put it on the 'too hard and difficult to research properly' pile.

MaxInValrico likes this.
  3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm in!! I'll even ask more dumb questions than Carl, like, 'Is a 351 Clevland the same as a 351 Cleveland?'

Jimbob and MaxInValrico like this.
  4. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

This is shaping up to be a great thread! ...then we can all post his responses, and then vote for the best one! :D

5. TestDummy

Sounds good. He hasn't responded to me yet. I asked for a pic of the engine too.

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I told him it couldn't be a Cleveland because Ford switched to Cincinnati's in 75.

7. TestDummy

Too bad these questions aren't listed under the ad, like on eBay.

ForistellFord likes this.
  8. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

What's the issue ?? It's still a ford V8, l just asked for a shipping quote to the U.K.:rolleyes:

ForistellFord likes this.
  9. ForistellFord

Carl's getting all pissy because the seller is adamant that it has a factory installed Cleveland.

10. TestDummy

Great work! Too bad FF didn't see your humor.

11. TestDummy

He also gave me that 'I checked the VIN, and it's a Cleveland' line of bull. I've attached the photos he sent me. Looks like, under all that smog garbage, that it's a 335 block, probably a 351M or 400. I wonder if the sticker is still on the firewall or radiator support.

I guess I'll attach the photo in the morning. I left my PC at work, and my wife's is all screwed up.

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Where are they? If the engine's complete, all we need to see is the Thermactor valve on the front of the intake; the Clevelands have the ports on both sides of the back of the intake.

13. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

carl's always pissy, that's just carl...:D

14. 5.0 Chero

better being pissy than being prissy like some people

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

He's not a ford guy but has done the research so apparently he knows far more than a ford guy would. Like the guy that told me he removed the governor from his trans in his mustang and made it the fastest car in his hometown.

ForistellFord and pmrphil like this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh, yeah, I know that type. Stupid overblown fool.

17. TestDummy

Relax, Nancy. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Look right next to the distributor - see the block where the casting is raised above the surface of the block? 351C is FLAT there.

TestDummy likes this.
  19. 5.0 Chero

he changed the ad must have seen the light

I have a running 5.8L (M) V-8 that is in a 1979 Ford F-250 Custom. I bought the truck only wanting the front/rear axle, transfer case and rims/tires and I am parting out everything else. Motor is still in the truck and fires right up with good oil pressure. I will pull once someone is will to buy it. I am willing to show the truck in running condition for proof of a good engine. I can also send pics via txt.

post id: 5055287714

posted: 7 days ago

updated: 15 hours ago

email to friend

Jimbob and ForistellFord like this.
  20. ForistellFord

Chalk this up as a major victory for all old car fans. What a great service you've provided to the community. Wait, never mind. You got someone to modify a craigslist ad. Wow.

Jimbob likes this.