Cure for the AM radio blues

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Hillbilly, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Dad and I took the day off and went to the indoor swapmeet at the Nashville Fairgrounds. He found a spare two four intake for the 56 T-Bird and I finally found the guys I'd been hearing about who do conversions to stock radios.
    Their shop is located near Charlie Daniels' digs in Mt.Juliet, TN. They had a nice display of their work set up and let me sample what they can do to nearly all car radios. I am impressed with the sound quality ! You judge =
    ( http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com )

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I just intsalled one of the retro sound raidos in my 79. It is pretty nice. Stock looking but I can use my Ipod(MP3) and the sound quality is awesome. I have it hooked up to a Kenwood 8105-D going to a sub woofer and another smaller Jensen amp to run my 6x9s.

3. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Have one in my 66 Elky---So far I love it.

The custom AutoSound in my 59 is a TOTAL piece of crap and has been since installed in '06-----finally crapped out on me on my home from the Power Tour.

Bought a RetroSound for my Ranchero with the Deluxe dash.
    Also bought a reproduction dash panel---sacraficial--I want to make this thing look halfway decent when I install it --- also gonna get the plastic dash pieces restored.

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

OK ! That's two votes for Retro Sound. I'm taking notes here as I don't want to cut the dash in either the 70 or 71 Ranchero.

5. 20footer

20footer In Third Gear

not only sound, but quality, my old philco can get any radio station tuned in,, the new stuff cant decipher a signal from static friction.

6. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

AM radio in my '65 doesn't work, but I've left it in place and installed a tape player underneath the dash. Took me a while to find a speaker to replace the one on top of the dash that has dual leads so you can run a mono speaker from a stereo. Sound isn't all that great; when I get rich and famous I'll install speaker pods on the kick panels.