Custom Video and Onboard Electronics for the 1977 Ranchero (teaching an old dog new tricks)

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Rancherestorer19, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Rancherestorer19

Rancherestorer19 In Fourth Gear

I am Elijah Nathaniel, Rancherestorer19, I have had this 1977 Ford Ranchero since I was 17 years old, I am now 29 years old, Before I didn't have the know how to do anything like this, but now I have not only the Know how, but the Money and the technology. I want to do something that will make my Ranchero more special without altering any of the physical characteristics or altering the value of this sleek machine.. So I came up with an idea that should be the envy of most any man..

No Physical internal or external alteration will be performed during this installation, The wires being Jumped will go into an electrical box and be jumped only from their proper places in the fuse box, Everything tight, neat and secure.. Here's how the system will be set up..

Okay so here's how it's going to work.. I now have all of the Tech I need to not only have my onboard Computer for Navigation, OPENGPS using Google Earth and Maps, Now I am programming in all of the software to the Computer. It's not quite onboard yet.. But we are going to set up a Dual Boot with the Raspberry Pi between Raspbian and RaspBMC media center.. This way I can run the GPS on Raspbian, and the Entertainment center portion on RaspBMC.. My monitor is a 5" HD LCD monitor, basically not much bigger than a smart Phone Screen, but it is a touch Screen.. I only have 2 inputs on this screen, But I want the output from the Raspberry Pi to be the primary output, I also am integrating 2 video Cameras into the system.. So here's how it's going to work. The Power for the two Cameras and the monitor is going to be coming off of the 12Volt Ignition switch, so unless the ignition is on the cameras and the Monitor will be off, The Computer's power supply will be coming straight off the battery because we do not want to kill the power when the ignition switch is shut off, that damages software and corrupts files.. So we want to be able to do a Soft Shutdown on it or leave it up and running, Also because the Computer is 5Volts and the Electrical system in the Vehicle is 12 Volts, we have to use a Voltage Regulator to power the Raspberry Pi and the Touch Screen Panel overlay. The Screen itself is 12 Volts, so it will just hook into the fuse box with IGN accessory.. The Voltage Regulator I am using is designed by a Dutch Company Called Melcher. it converts anything from 30Volts to 7 Volts DC down to 5Volts DC with a screw to adjust Amperage.. We do not need much Amperage to run the Raspberry PI.

Okay.. Now for Wiring the Cameras.. The Primary thing is that one camera will be on the front of the Vehicle, it is an infrared Night Vision Camera with a 1000 Foot Focal range and 700LUX Color/Daytime, and Black&White/ Infrared NightVision.. This one is going to be mounted on the Front of the vehicle, The Other is a similar Camera with only B&W capability, but is much more limited in Focal range and is only B&W, that one is going on the Rear of the Vehicle. Now then.. The Key Component is going to be the Power Relay which is a 12 Volt double Pole, Double Throw Relay, Basically has 2 power connections and 6 pins for switching.. so here's how that is going to wire in.

The Cameras power is switched at the Hot and both cameras operate at 12 Volts. The main Power to the Relay is going to be coming off of the Reverse Light switch on the bottom of the Column, This is the switch that turns on the Reverse lights to the vehicle when you drop it in Reverse. Now it will also power our relay. The power going into the center relay pin will be coming off of the Ignition switch, the outer pins are for the power to go to the cameras. Now we have to make sure of which Pin is hot when the relay is on and which is hot when the relay is off because we want the Rear Camera to be active when the relay is on, that way our Rear Camera will switch on when we drop the vehicle into reverse, and then when we drop it into any other gear as long as the ignition power is on, the front camera will be powered and this way their video will be displayed on the screen.

Now Also because we have now a Constant Camera input, which is feeding into the monitor, the regular switching for this Monitor will no longer work.. So we have to put a cutoff switch inline between the Fusebox and the Camera's main power (center Pin on the relay) to be able to shut the camera power off even if the ignition is on.. (the reason for this is because the Monitor is designed so that when the Camera's input is high, the monitor will automatically switch to that input) We would not have this problem if we were only using one Camera. This switch allows us to kill the Camera output to the monitor so that we can see the output of our Computer and watch movies or use our GPS. otherwise we would only be able to watch Cameras all the time because the Video input for the Cameras would always be overriding the computer's video output. tvtime-output-02:11:38 PM.png I will post a video of the system once it is all working... But this is the Camera that I am using for the Front of the Vehicle.. "Driving Camera".. The other is the "Reversing Camera"

SIDE NOTE:

The Cameras are not going through the computer Currently because the Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to be able to view or record them, so for now they are view only, not for recording.. It is unfortunate, but until I get a more powerful computer this is a circumstance of the situation..

If you have any Ideas Comments, Thoughts, or suggestions for me I would love to hear them.. Drop me a line or visit me on Facebook www.facebook.com/Elijah.CyberE3.C3.Collins

View the original project note and see updates here!
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/elij...e-has-ever-seen-a-ford-ranche/934610516552520

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds like an interesting project.
    Keep us posted as it goes along.
    Myself, I would put the forward camera inside looking out the windshield with a view of the dash also and put it on a DVR. That way you have proof of your innocence in a collision or ticket situation (assuming you are innocent;)).

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ rancherorest ... got any details on the 5" monitor you will use? What input? And in particular, is it bright enough to use in a car in daylight?

I have a Pi model B here, have thought a bit about using it as a digital dashboard, but so far none of the monitors I have looked at were even close to being bright enough. I also have a hdmi-2-vga converter gizmo, so I could use a standard vga monitor with mine.

TestDummy likes this.
  4. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

Very ambitious project! I envy you your abilities! And in Kansas yet? My nephew almost bankrupted half the businesses in Marion, KS, years ago, when they lent him money to start a "worm-farm"! I'm serious, not making this up! mo.

5. Rancherestorer19

Rancherestorer19 In Fourth Gear

Well this is the Video Monitor I purchased

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261514258174?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and yes it is very bright even during the daytime, but the difference is I have to turn it down at night because it is blindingly bright if I don't and I will not be able to see the road, The solution I made for that is to set the Media Center Background to change based on a 24 Hour Timer, Hours 08:00-16:00 it will be bright with a white background image.. Hours 17:00-07:00 It will be Dim with the Black Background.. My Raspberry Pi is also a Model B with 512 MB Memory and a daughter Board to boost RAM to 1.0 GB.. More memory= Faster PI.. It has Watchdog installed on it as well to prevent it from freezing up.. "Like they commonly do" Overclocked to Performance Profile "SUPER" The Voltage at my Regulator comes out to 5.45 Volts with no load "RMS" With the Pi on it the voltage comes out to 5.28 Volts "RMS" from 12 Volts at the Battery, Direct Connect with a Bypass switch to cut power before the Converter because the Regulator itself seemed to be sucking up .25 of an ampere without a load on it.. :(

Anyways.. now I got the Raspberry Pi and the Monitor installed and hooked into the Audio only to discover that the AUX input audio Jack for my stereo has a loose, or damaged Connection.. So I cannot Connect it there.. So I bypassed the stereo entirely at the 1000 Watt 4 Channel Amplifier, which is located in the rear Cubby behind the seat. and designed a PLL Audio Circuit so that I can control the audio feeding into it at the Panel with 2 buttons push one up, volume goes up, push one down volume goes down, and is displayed on my meter using an LM3517 and 10 LEDs..

Had so much work to do I ran out of time to install the Cameras, Everything else works, but In all of the bustle yesterday I forgot to get that Small 12 Volt Double Throw Double Pole Relay I need for my Cameras switching with the gearbox.. and some video Cable.. I also ran out of wire..o_O Need to go get some more..

Anyways I will keep you all posted!!

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ ranchoresto ... thanks for the info and the link. A couple more questions? The little monitor is happy with the video out of the Pi yellow jack, directly? And the ad says it is 4:3 aspect, but it sure looks more like widescreen to me.

I'll buy one to play with here, had no idea they were so cheap.

TestDummy likes this.