Cutting teeth

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Randall, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Randall

Randall In First Gear

These pics arent mine, but they are of the 76 I bought and I can't wait to see in person once I get back stateside! Yes I plan to mitigate that rust. Its going to be a 10 year plan restomod.
    Also I think the topper is rad, opinions?

Attached Files:

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

kewl!!!! my 76GT back when I bought it on 9/1/1

Rocky spring 2002 2.JPG

3. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looks good Randall!huevos,you’res look like it’s twin!

4. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

What does RestoMod entail on this build?

5. Randall

Randall In First Gear

Well not everything is going to stay original or in its stock configuration. For the engine I plan to rebuild it to make around 500hp. The transmission will be built to handle around 800lbft of torque, just to be safe. Also, because im keeping the 3 speed auto I will put an overdrive unit on the back of the transmission. The wheels are going to be of custom origin. Bumper tucks. All the chrome will be painted to match the new color, which I have yet to decide on. I also want to lower it and bag it, correctly, how low I dont know. Long tube headers, custom exhaust. The interior will get a leather treatment. Going to refurbish the original gauges and equipment. The radio was replaced so I want to find a replacement that looks stock but has all the modern fixings. As of today, I have yet to see the ol girl for myself but my buddy did pick it up and was impressed with it and said "how it looked better than in the pictures". The rear end needs regeared because the previous owner put a 2.55 in it to try and get better mileage. Anything else I think of along the way as well. Its going to be a long project but it means a lot to me that I see it through.

6. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Ok basically your only building a Custom Ranchero.
    RestoMod by definition is a classic vehicle with Modern drivetrain and other components.
    Since your just rebuilding original engine and transmission and just adding Performance enhancers your really not building a true RestoMod.
    Even adding airbags is just customizing as your adding it to factory suspension .
    If you took an independent suspension from a modern vehicle and installed it on the Ranchero then you would have a mild RestoMod.
    The Mod stands for Modern,not modification so you would have to add components from a Modern vehicle for it to fall into the RestoMod category.
    Just adding 17" or bigger wheels doesn't really make it a RestoMod.

It's a common mistake made these days by many

7. Randall

Randall In First Gear

I am used to purists telling me once any part of the vehicle has been replaced with a modern equivalent component it becomes a Restomod. Like the radio for instance, because I want to install one that looks original but has modern features its now a modernization effort. I understood that the mod was for modern. I could very well decide to swap the front suspension and convert lights over to LED etc etc.