Daily Headline

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Jul 26, 2017.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

New news story!

Some of you may have heard about the earthquake in SoCal. That's my community. We had a 6.4 on Thursday, and a 7.1 last night. Scared the snot out of us! 'Course, we were watching Stranger Things at the time!

Anyway, we're rocking a bit, and rolling a bit, but hanging in there. A couple house fires, a couple mobile homes knocked off their piers, the hospital ER closed :eek:, but hanging in there. All the gas stations are running dry, so send gas! :D

Hey, on a side note, I challenged someone who owns a 2010-ish Corvette. Think my '64 with a 289 stands a chance? :rolleyes:

Joseph

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Mighty brave ! But one never knows until you try. I know of a 63 Fairlane with a 289 that can ruin that Corvette's day. Fotus Fairlane.jpg

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

California - if it's not shaking you down, it's shaking you up.

ForistellFord and RancheroRandy like this.
  5. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

I lived in Santa Cruz when the '89 Loma Prieto earthquake hit...it did a bunch of damage and fortunately the desert dwellings are built with less height....

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I was in SF for the Napa quake of '13, '14 was it? It was a lot of fun!!

7. TestDummy

I was at work for the great VA Quake, 2011. Just a 5.8, but still crazy. Work started shaking, so I walked calmly outside, telling people they should follow me. It went on forever, or seemed to. I remember this tool we used to work with, who was the last one out, comes out the front door and announces, "I think we are having an earthquake!" to the 20 of us gathered on the front lawn. I said, "No shit, Sherlock. What was your first clue." Hahahaha.

[​IMG]

Hillbilly and ForistellFord like this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was at work when the Nisqually quake hit the Puget Sound area. I was working on a '55 Star Chief Custom Catalina's brakes when I heard a rumbling--I thought it was a train, as tracks to Fort Lewis ran behind the building, and they would move flatcars of tanks back and forth. But, that wasn't it--the earthquake epicenter was about 20 or so miles from me! The Pontiac began rocking back and forth, and that was my cue to beat feet outside.

9. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Glad everything ok there Joe.Iam about 90 miles east of you.Lost power for 2 hours,no damage locally.Top 2 in shakers I have felt on the west coast!

10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

TestDummy likes this.
  11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sounds like a case of PCP in one case, and REALLY poor shooting on the other.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  12. handy_andy_cv64

Not if he was shooting at the 'devil.'

13. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

If I had to reload AT LEAST twice to miss a target inside a house I'd hope they'd set up a Go Fund me to teach me how to shoot...............

He must have been overcome with the "devil's" siren song, blue hair and bouncing boobies.

Cheers,

Doc

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I was sitting at Ocean Breeze Fun Park in VA Beach reading a book (watching bikini's through dark sunglasses) when I felt it hit. My wife being the highly perceptive woman she is says "Is the earth moving?" I picked up my beer and held it so it wouldn't spill and said "Well, either we are having an earthquake or somebody just nuked Norfolk." after several seconds "Nope, no pressure wave and my beer is still cold, it was an earthquake." That was my first look at how people reacted when they lost cell and internet service, it was mind blowing the number of people screaming at their phones and going into total melt down because they couldn't call out.

That said.... Joseph stay safe I fear you are in for many more.

Cheers,

Doc

15. handy_andy_cv64

The reason why cell service disappears? The sheer number of everybody, on the phone at the same time, overloading the system. At least when Ma Bell would become overloaded, you got a specific buzz tone telling you the system was overloaded. Frankly, in any emergency, normal number access on the cell services should be halted, including cutting off current calls, to make circuits to 911 dispatchers available. And then hefty fines for arseheads who call 911 services for stupid non-emergency reasons.

Hillbilly likes this.
  16. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

17. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh great; kimchee at the concessions stands too I suppose.

18. TestDummy

No, it's not!!!!! Okay, maybe a little according to the great Goog.

Earlysville to Chesterfield - 101 miles, 1 hour 55 minutes
    Chesapeake to Chesterfield - 102 miles, 1 hour 57 minutes

ForistellFord likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

Depends on the kimchee. Some of the buried stuff makes our hottest hot foods seem like buttermilk. NASA tried some as a rocket fuel, but was rejected because it was way too volatile.

20. 62restomod

62restomod In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER