Dave_in_Az, 72 GT = Money Pit

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Dave_in_Az, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Dave_in_Az

Dave_in_Az In Second Gear

We moved to Tucson a while back and call it home now.
    We have a 1972 Ranchero GT (25 years) that was purchased from the original owners niece.
    The original owner purchased the Ranchero at age 82.... and dented every corner, but otherwise treated the Ranchero well. I think the drivers side has had some cosmetic work too, and a new door.

I've had to rebuild the engine and transmission. The engine seems to be healthy, thanks to Elmo Hodge working the heads, Comp Cams roller cam, Motorsport Rockers, MSD ignition, Edelbrock components. The trans has been rebuilt a few times, this last time by John at Fair and Honest Transmission. The trans provides crisp shifts and chirps the tires in all three gears, even with the Auburn limited slip with 3.50 gear set. Jay and Dude did a suspension refresh a few years ago and Ramberson did the steering box and rag joint.

The interior is rather nice, bench seats are the best... Converted the air conditioning to R-134 a few years ago, seems to work well enough.

The exterior, well, let's say it has a nice patina and a few dents... Bright Green Gold Metalic with Forest Green interior... Wonderful Seventies colors... that seem to be in fashions these days too...

The Ranchero is a great driving car and really scares the ..... out of me when the power comes on.
    Nothing like a car with good power and marginal brakes and suspension.....
    Sort of like the Harley, except the Harley has little power, poor suspension and poor brakes...
    sort of like riding a couch... comfortable and great sounds...

Dave_in_Az ... Tucson...

LSChero likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You at least should have the 11" drum brakes and the standard single-piston front disc brakes, right? What about going through the hydraulics, rebuilding them to give better performance, and switching to an aftermarket prop valve, like a Wilwood, to give better braking bias?

3. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Would love to see pics of it.

4. Dave_in_Az

I know the Ranchero has front disk and rear drum brakes. For a 1972 era car, it probably does stop well. I have not looked at upgrading the brakes. Thank you for the suggestions. I think 2021 may be a good year for an upgrade. While going through some old boxes I came across some of the original material for the Ranchero and Malibu. I found original Ford and Chevrolet sales material, very nice condition (I am surprised given the box they were in). I also found a copy of "The Ranchero and Torino Handling Manual, 3rd edition, 2000 by Mark Reams. I remember getting this and am really happy to have found it. I think this will be a Christmas Holidays read...

I am not sure how to upload pictures, but will find out. The Ranchero has original paint, many dents and great patina....

5. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome Dave,great site,great bunch of guys and girls

6. handy_andy_cv64

Pics need to be downsized, 1MB or smaller, and you use the "upload a file" button. If you don't have the ability to downsize your photos, you can email them to me at silvertwinkiehobo@gmail.com, and I can resize them, send them back to you.

7. Dave_in_Az

Most of the pictures I have a huge, in the 4 Mb range, but I believe I can insert them into a file and they will be much smaller.
    I'm on the road for a few days. I'll look into this when I get back.
    thanks

72_Ranchero.jpg 72_Ranchero_a.jpg
    or, I think I figured it out...

8. handy_andy_cv64

Ivy Glow with green interior?

9. Dave_in_Az

Bright Green over Dark Green.... very 70s....

10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

My 73 was 2 owner 4P green with split bench dark green interior.Guy I bought it from said color combo ran off perspective buyers.Yours look better than mine did at 50'.Painting the 72 mica metalic green.
    [​IMG]

11. Dave_in_Az

When I purchased mine, it had the bed cover, same as yours. It deteriorated, so it is gone.
    I like the look of the old paint and surface rust.... I'm not sure when it will get a paint job...
    The mechanics are very good, it scares of Lexus drivers....

12. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, Babe looks 'rode hard and put away wet,' and that gives me the widest berth from other drivers. But woe to the inattentive driver that pulls out in front of her.

13. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome... nice car~!

14. The Wrench

The Wrench In Second Gear

Welcome Dave, did somebody mention "Green"

Attached Files:

15. Dave_in_Az

Green is good.....
    Very nice looking Ranchero...

Speaking of Green, I picked up a hood.... it's pea green... but perfect metal... such good fortune....

The Wrench likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

17. Dave_in_Az

I have not decided if I will install the hood...
    The old hood works well enough and adds to the patina.... which my Ranchero has plenty...
    I thought I had uploaded a picture, but it does not show, so I'll try again...
    IMG_0705.jpg

18. handy_andy_cv64

Remember, 1MB max size, and you can post as a full-sized pic, instead of a thumbnail.

19. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Dave_In_Az,

My Dad ordered a new end of the year '76 Ranchero which, to his surprise, came in that same color scheme. I believe my mother called it the "Lizard." I haven't see that color in a while.

20. Dave_in_Az

The hood has been painted... I'll post a picture shortly...
    But, the brake lights went away.
    Trying to get a brake light switch in... oh my goodness what a job...
    I ended up taking it to a brake specialty shop, the y can do this..... nope....
    Seems getting the switch in place can be done, but getting in the correct position to place the hairpin is another story.
    I bloodied both hands and forearms before my wife demanded I take it to a shop.
    Using word of mouth to find someone who has experience replacing the brake light switch. definitely painful...

We should have the hood on tomorrow, another picture....
    Then starts the drive to complete the body work and paint job.

0_hood1.JPEG