Day 1 vs. today

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by beerbelly, Jul 21, 2020.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Well, I've kinda reached all my goals for this car, so I thought I'd post some before & after pix, a little over 5 years and almost 44k miles since I brought it home. It was in pretty nice shape; the previous owner would restore old Mustangs and flip them, so he knew his way around 60's Fords.

The first 3 pix are the day I drove it 300 miles home, the next 3 are how it sits today, and the next 2 show the mileage. It's been through a ton of changes, mostly mechanical and interior. It could sure use some paint & bodywork, but then I'd worry about driving it, so I'm in my comfort zone as it sits. Just a great dependable car that takes me anywhere I want to go. This car cost me zero after selling my '79 Chevy LUV (last 2 photos) and a couple of guitars, but then I dumped a bunch of money into initially to make the suspension & driveline reliable. After that, it was just "do stuff as you can afford it". Right now, today, I can't think of anything else to do, and my wallet thanks me....

Left front 3:4.jpg Interior.jpg Engine right.jpg IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5123.JPG IMG_5082.jpeg Title mileage.JPG Current mileage.JPG LUV + moons 2.JPG LUV + moons lo-res.jpg

Jeff B., LSChero, Saff54 and 4 others like this.
  2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That Luv had to be fast with those hubcaps :p
    Hey, did I guess right on the size?

3. beerbelly

Well, if I could trim down the beerbelly a little..... My wife has a new nightshirt though!

PonyExpressRider and pmrphil like this.
  4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

It is a sweet ride to see in person!

pmrphil likes this.
  5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

That's a good lookin' scoot BB, well done!!

Cheers,

Doc

beerbelly likes this.
  6. kroezer54

kroezer54 In First Gear

Hey BeerBelly, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the Ranchero looks great, I’m definitely taking some notes from your work as I make plans for my current restoration.

I really like how you “deleted” the deluxe dash trim. I have the deluxe also but I’m not a huge fan of all the chrome on the dash. Can you share some more pictures of the dash and let me know how you did it? Are those grommets to fill the holes? Genius!

thanks!

7. beerbelly

kroezer, my Deluxe dash was all there, but was painted silver with a black accent stripe by the previous owner, apparently after too much coffee. They're worth money, so I sold mine on eBay for $400. I the bought this Mustang dash bezel and lens kit from falconparts.com- the Ranchero gauges are a direct swap:

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 7.48.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 7.48.22 PM.png
    I also picked up a Standard glovebox door on Craigslist and painted the dash Krylon satin black. Then I found some black plastic plugs at my local ACE Hardware and popped them into the dash holes. I used one of the holes for the AUX plug on my stereo.

3.5mm plug.JPG
    The plastic plugs don't bother me, but I've heard some guys weld & finish the holes. I decided not to do that so it could always be returned to stock if desired.

Sprint wheel.JPG

kroezer54 likes this.
  8. kroezer54

kroezer54 In First Gear

Awesome, thanks so much for the details!

What radio did you put in there? Without the deluxe trim can you use a “regular” radio or do the knobs still not line up?

9. beerbelly

Boiler92, Lincolnut and kroezer54 like this.