Deluxe / standard dash advice

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by neil brown, Oct 8, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

I'm looking at tidying my deluxe dash, including repairing the radio hole. All the chrome on my deluxe panels had gone back to a tan plastic, so I would need to replace it all, which looks pretty pricey. However, I've found on falcon parts a standard dash bezel for just shy of $30.00. Does anyone know if this bezel will fit my gauges, and whats involved in removing all the deluxe panels, will I have a bunch of holes to fill?
    https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1964-1965-INSTRUMENT-BEZEL-26p6983.htm

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Neil, I've done this same thing, with the same bezel. All the gauges simply transfer over with no modification, and I used that changeover to add a new lens, clean up everything, and repaint the needles in dayglo orange. Yes, there are holes to fill, both large and small, across the dash. The larger holes hold the Deluxe pieces, and the smaller holes under the top edge were probably for attaching the chrome trim for the padded dash option. I found some plastic plugs at the hardware store, and then painted the dash using Krylon semi-flat spray paint. I used one of the large holes as an outlet for the AUX input on my modern radio. And you will need a plain glove box door from a Standard, as the Deluxe has mounting holes as well.

New dash B.jpg New dash A.jpg 3.5mm plug.JPG Deluxe glove box door.JPG

3. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

There are plastic rechromers in the US I will look in a little while and then you can determine if it is worth dechroming/detriming or a chrome do over.
    There is also YouTube videos about home grown rechrome.

4. 65restomod

Here is what I found in the papers that came with the vehicle.
    A price list from " Mr G's Rechrome Plastic" Fort Worth , TX (817)831-3501 (817) 838-3131
    https://mrgusa.com
    total services of dash parts (looks to be for Deluxe dash) includes dash, radio, glove box panel, R end panel $ 257.00
    I do not know the year of the price list but my guess is around 4 years ago The quality of the rechrome looks to be very good.
    I understand the there will be shipping and duty in your case but it is something to consider.
    PS, I took a look better at there website and it looks like they may be starting to shut down the operation I can't see where they are rechoming any more
    They seem to be reducing stock.
    Bob

5. neil brown

Thanks Beerbelly, that’s very helpful. I think at that price I’ll buy it and look for a glove box.
    65restomod, the issue I have with rechroming is that they rechrome your stuff, so I’d have to send it all to the US, and back again, plus duty, gets expensive quick, tho that price is a lot cheaper than I’ve seen elsewhere.
    Thanks both of you, much appreciated.

6. 65restomod

You are welcome.

Like I said they seem to be going out of business anyway but may worth a try.
    I realize the exporting /importing is another added cost.

In a search " plastic chroming in the UK" I pulled up these companies
    These are some examples of companies out there
    http://chromeplating.co.uk
    https://www.rutlandplastics.co.uk/polymer-applications/plastics-plating
    https://easyelectroplating.co.uk/chrome-plating-services/

7. neil brown

In a search " plastic chroming in the UK" I pulled up these companies
    These are some examples of companies out there

Thanks, I've emailed them, see what happens. I've also looked into hydro transfer, and contacted a few companies over here. I cant decide which one's more work, restre the stock dash or change it to a standard. Looked behind my headset tonight, its a big hole...

8. neil brown

It looks like someone may have patched it before, and then it was cut...

Attached Files:

9. beerbelly

10. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I didn't realize that the padding was an option. I have the padding, with the chrome trim along the bottom edge, but I thought it was standard. Do you know where I can get info on my Ranchero, as it left the factory? It's a '64, so it's too old for a Marti report.

Joseph

11. 65restomod

As far as I can tell you may have a deluxe dash , door plate should give you more info when deciphered

12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

My door tag says that I have a Deluxe, but I don't have the Deluxe trim, or any holes in the dash for mounting the trim, like BB has. That's why I'd like a Marti report. I got one for my '67, but he doesn't go back far enough to cover my '64.

Joseph

13. 65restomod

Yea, I also looked into a Marti report but as you said it is too early for it.
    I always thought that if it had a Deluxe dash it was prepped with holes to accommodate the nicer trim and dash pad. At least it was on the '65
    Disclaimer: I am not any expert in anything, but in my head I know everything.

colnago likes this.
  14. beerbelly

I highly recommend the book by Ray Miller, "Falcon! The New-Size Ford". Lots of specifications & photos for all models from 1960 to 1970 1/2.

IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2058.JPG

pmrphil likes this.
  15. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

$70 at Amazon! :eek:

Joseph

16. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

17. beerbelly

18. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I bought the one on eBay for $24. But even though it is coming from South Carolina, and even though I live in California, I STILL had to pay sales tax! Huh?!? I could understand it if the seller were in California, but I didn't think I owed taxes on out-of-state purchases. :mad:

Anyway, looking forward to getting the book. The eBay item had several pictures posted, and it looks to be in great condition. And I'd rather pay $24 than $70!

Reminds me of another great book, although the subject predates our Rancheros by a few years: Henry's Wonderful Model T, by Floyd Clymer. That's a fun read, and gives one a real appreciation for the modern vehicle and its creature comforts.

Joseph

Freestyle Don likes this.
  19. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

I sympathize with you on the tax -- everything we buy in from overseas will be taxed from the beginning of November - 15%.Used to be items over $400 NZ. I even had to pay tax on the purchase price and the freight when I imported my 66. My mate wrote the price down to $11500 USD but even so !! Freight , customs etc was $9000 NZ . Still thought I got a good deal all up but it rankles to think the NZ Govt put 15% on top of that.
    Denis.

20. beerbelly

I got an email recently stating that they are going to start collecting sales tax. It's still in beta I think.