Deluxe / standard dash advice

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by neil brown, Oct 8, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Some of the dash trim is different. My '64 came with the 260 and a two-speed tranny. It now has a 289 and a C4 tranny (I think both were standard for '65). Still has drum brakes all around, which work for the most part. At least I haven't rear-ended anyone … yet! My taillights don't have the chrome star/ring, like the '65, and I don't have reverse lights (I don't remember if '65 had them or not). Do you have a two-spoke or three-spoke steering wheel? Mine is two-spoke, but I don't remember when they changed that. But, the most important thing is that even 55 years later, it's still a blast to drive!

Yeeee-hawww!!!

Joseph

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

64 and 65 share the same body parts, just different exterior and interior trim.

neil brown likes this.
  3. ron schlorff

ron schlorff In Second Gear

Yep, except my 64 has a 65 grill and headlight doors etc. cuz the 64 grill on the car at the start was too beat up to work with and I could not find a perfect 64 grill for "my price" so found a nice 65 one and then realized I'd have to address the different contours of the doors and other little changes to mount the 65 grill. So in the end I spent more than I would if I had accepted the more cost of the 64 grill,, in the first place. Typical of me, usually buy the same part or equivalent twice and end up paying a lot more while I'm looking for a "bargain"!! I'll probably go back to a 64 grill and new doors etc., at great expense, to keep with model year "authenticity" of the 64 and in keeping with my personal theme of buying several parts for one particular job!! I am building up a nice "useless parts" inventory that way, however! LOL :D

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"Useless parts" can be turned I to "useful cash," if you have the patience to deal with the people who are the same as you, searching for a bargain.

5. ron schlorff

ron schlorff In Second Gear

Right, I do understand the concept; I've been on the receiving end of that. My 200 cu 6 came from my friend who took out of his 66 Mustang, in 2006, and gave it to me (a real "bargain", LOL), as he installed a 302; and thus the inline became "useless" to him. And after I had it later (2010) re-built to factory spec, nothing too tricky, just some parts and balanced, it became "useful" to me,...….To say the least!!!!!! ;D

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Are there pics on the forum?