Difference between a 73 500 and a GT

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by sgtfixit, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sgtfixit

sgtfixit In Third Gear

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between a 1973 Ranchero 500 and a 1973 Ranchero GT? I'm picking up a second ranchero this weekend and I'm told the PO thinks it is a GT, but does not know what to look for. Neither do I. I have serched the database and can not come up with a verifiable answer. Both cars have 2v 302/AT. One has a GT badge on grill and glove box, but that can be added. Please advise.

2. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

So, it has to have 48 in the vin, and the doorpanels are different if its an original GT, your 500 has 47 in the vin, has't it ?:cool:

73 GT with 302 = 3A48Fxxxxxxxx
    73 500 with 302 = 3A47Fxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Michael

500 and GT were just trim levels no real difference As was stated Look at vin for 48 GT could have a gauge package and could/should have plastic sport door panels.

4. sgtfixit

sgtfixit In Third Gear

got it all

Thanx... Car is 73...VIN 3A48F146250 is titled as a 72, but is a 73. door manufacture sticker sez it was made in 11/72. Has the swoopy GT door panels and GT dash. I hit a site called quickvin.com is pretty good and works for alot of different fords. I got it for $400 has a non-running engine, but everything else is in order. Is rust free! I got stuck on the 405 for 6 hours, so I guess I really paid for it. I will never tow a car on a trailer thru L.A. again!!! I'll pay someone next time. The simple 5 hour round trip turned into a 12 hour white knuckle experience. But I digress...

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Which one are you thinking you will fix to drive or are you going to do both?

6. sgtfixit

sgtfixit In Third Gear

fixin it up

I pulled the 302 out of the GT and found a decimated rod end floating in the oil pan along with various bits of engine block and bearing. Unless I want to sleeve the engine...the block is tOAST.

I'm going to put the 500s 302/c4 in the GT since I know both have been rebuilt in the last 5000 miles. Then I'll take some of the front end parts off the 500.

Going to drive the GT and send the 500 to the bone yard. That is unless I can tlk someone into taking her off my hands real cheap! The 500 has extensive rust in the body. I'd like to keep the frame, but I do'nt have the time, money, or patience for that type of operation. Besides...they wont let me keep both in base housing and I dont have $$$ for a storage yard.

7. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

IIRC there are a few people realatively close to you that might be in need of parts from your 500, just post it up in the "for sale" section and see what happens.

8. sgtfixit

sgtfixit In Third Gear

parts is parts

Roger that...I will be posting it as soon as I'm done with the swap

9. Bearpaw58

Bearpaw58 In Third Gear

Do you know why they named it the 405?? Cause it takes you 4-O-5 hours to get anywhere.:eek: There is no good time to drive that freeway. I feel for you. Been there, done that. Good luck with your new project!!

10. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

I drove my parts car (a 73 GT runnin on 7 cylinders) down the 405 on my way back from Frisco.

Boy was that fun.

I feel for ya man. I wont go anyfurther north on the 405 than Long Beach. Any further and you run into the perma jam around LAX.