distributor stuck!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Nov 9, 2020.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ooh, I forgot about a Lady Slipper. If placed right and done right, especially if you have a second person attempting to turn it back and forth, it might just loosen enough for making the adjustment.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I have lots of ideas going into this on Saturday afternoon (Have to work now in AM) But I will get this sucker to move. Just need to retard timing about 10 degrees. This is just a bone stock 76 460 engine so having the timing at 30 BTDC is just plain impractical for normal driving. Hot starts are beating up the starter and it advances so much once running at cruising it just feels like it is surging. Disconnected the vacuum advance and that made it a whole lot better but still not right.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Wait...30 degrees at idle? WOW. You have three advances on timing--initial setting (14 degrees at 650 in your case), mechanical advance and vacuum advance. If, with the vacuum disconnected, you're still reading 30 degrees, that would tell me that the cetrifugal advance mechanism is stuck in the advanced position, and whoever touched it last severely advanced it to compensate for it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a replacement dizzy anyway, or that one needs rebuilding.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Andy, I fail to understand how you came to that conclusion. It's fairly easy to check and see if the mechanical advance is working, just rev it up. Otherwise the timing would NEVER change, seeing that he already disconnected the vacuum advance.

The Wrench likes this.
  5. Dan the ranchero man

Yes you are right. The timing still advances with the vacuum disconnected.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Okay, that is true, I didn't think. I had assumed he would have already done that, as he knew where the base timing was. So, shame on me for making an ass out of me and me.

7. Dan the ranchero man

No worries I know you are trying to help.

8. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Hey Dan, maybe some heat with a propane torch to get the block warm/hot around the distributor then hit the distributor body with some carb or brake cleaner, the cleaners will be quite cool/cold coming out of the spray straw. Might be enough "shock" temperature-wise to allow the block to loosen it's grip on the distributor.

9. Dan the ranchero man

If it involves fire I am in! I put that in mybag of tricks that will be used to loosen this thing up!

10. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Be very careful if you plan to heat it up.

I investigate fires for a living. I see almost everything as either an ignition source, fuel or oxidant. Seen a lot of bad outcomes.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ok. Got a dumb question for you Boiler 92. What is your opinion on carrying Halotron extinguishers for vehicle fires ? I already know to get the biggest lung full of air I can before setting one off and to have an escape route ready.

12. Dan the ranchero man

Trust me I take playing with fire while doing things like this very seriously. I will have an extinguisher handy. In this case would be my last resort. Going to try other things first. I love a good fire but not a car b que!

Hillbilly and Boiler92 like this.
  13. pmrphil

We luv ya anyway, big boy :p

Hillbilly likes this.
  14. Boiler92

Sorry, but I'm a forensic electrical engineer. I study the aftermath. Not an expert on extinguishing agents.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Sounds like a plan, and don't forget to breathe out as you exit the carbecue.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Any news yet?

17. pmrphil

No, he's working on it Saturday afternoon

18. Dan the ranchero man

Yep, late Saturday after noon and Sunday morning.

19. Dan the ranchero man

Ok folks here we go........FAILED :(:(:(:(! tried everything that was suggested and that thing will not move unless one gets very aggressive. I just need to rotate this thing back about 1/4 inch. I had a 3 ft crow bar on it in a real nice spot. I thought this was the ticket! NOT!!! the smaller round trunk of the dizzy was twisting so much I thought it was going to break off. At this point I will leave it alone until springtime when all the other cars are available to me and I know the weather will not be an issue. Unless someone has a trick up their sleeve that is where it stands for now.

20. Boiler92

Air chisel/hammer in very short bursts?