Dorman 96050 or equivalent needed

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Lopan Banks, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Lopan Banks

Lopan Banks In First Gear

This is for my 79 500 with a 302. I need a rectangular flexible intake tube to connect to my breather. Both ends must be rectangular roughly 3.75" width. The Dorman 96050 looks like it would work but no one has it in stock. I'm sure there are work around options. Maybe a circular flex tube with two rectangle end pieces to fit? Any help is greatly appreciated. I've included pics of what I'm talking about. Thanks all!
    IMG_0532 (1).jpg Dorman 96050.jpg

2. frankmanic

frankmanic In Second Gear

Yeah, I’ve been trying to find one for years, no luck either. I live in SoCal so when I take it in for smog and they say anything about that missing,piece i clamp in a piece of metal flexible dryer hose to pass inspection.

3. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I'm glad we don't have the smog testing here. It all sounds like a PITA.....

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I used one from a Jeep that was pretty close to original.

5. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

It is a PITA....I lived there 33 years.
    The engine has to be pretty much left stock.
    It's all a BIG money maker for the state, if they really were concerned with exhaust pollution all they would have to do is measure what's coming out your tail pipe...if you're burning clean enough it shouldn't matter what you do to the engine.

I Love it here in South Carolina, no testing here either, they don't even have a safety inspection! :D

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Trouble is, no one would pass, especially on CO and now, NOX percentages. Even with the original IMCO standards Ford came up with, a recent broken-in engine would have a difficult time passing. And with the fact most never even spent money to keep their engines burning as good as possible, the smog was really bad. I was in San Diego with the Navy in the late '80s, and it sucked. Pulling into port when the entire horizon was brown as far as the eye could see, I can understand why Cali had to go to those extremes. You look at SoCal now, as opposed to a half-century or longer ago, it actually was worth it.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Heck Andy, it was on my ninth trip to Cali. before I ever realized there was a snow capped mountain just north of the truck stops in Ontario back in 1995. Always had to wash the truck going back out so I could see clearly.

8. handy_andy_cv64

It's funny what you can see when the air clears.

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah PITA here in most of Colorado. Cannot replace an engine with any older model - as though that effected emissions!

10. SouthCarolinaRanchero

I think So Cals clean air now is more to do with the clean burning modern engines on newer cars......not the states strict smog programs.
    Also people who take pollution stuff off their engines and build their motors don't drive them much, most only do car shows and cruise events ect....so the environmental impact would be very small, I'm sure less than 1% of the cars on the road would be old muscle cars, and not very often on the road anyway......gas is too expensive in California to use a old car as a daily driver.
    For the reasons I stated above, I still say California's smog program is about the state making money more than making clean air.

But you're right....I moved to So Cal in 1986 and I used to do truck delivery for a wharehouse....I'd be driving in Ontario about 8 miles or so from the mountains and on some days u couldn't see the mountains!

11. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, tech has had a huge impact on pollution, but with the fact that population increases exponentially, there are *far* more cars on the roads now, and if anyone was allowed to monkey with EFI or diesel engines (which has already happened against the law), we'd still have gross polluters out there. One of the reasons why I try not to drive Babe regularly, is to keep my footprint down.

12. SouthCarolinaRanchero

My point is there would be very few "gross polluters" out there because 99% of the vehicles are modern very clean burning and it wouldn't have any significant impact on the environment.
    Drive Babe and enjoy it as much as u desire, life is short, and the Earth is going to be around LOOONG after the human race is gone.

Want a good laugh?
    Do a search on YOUTUBE for "George Carlin,Saving the Planet"