drip rails

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by lyndog, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lyndog

lyndog In First Gear

when I pulled the drip rails of the 72 gt they were filled with Putty type material...a bitch to get out. Don't think they came filled from the factory ? Is this a trick I don't know to seal them?...should I refill them with this crap again....? hope not let me know ...thanks Lyndog:confused:

2. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

As i recall, that material was put there to seal the seams in the top edge of the bed panels.

3. E's67ranchero

E's67ranchero In Second Gear

That is called seam seal and if you took it out you will need to replace it. They sell it at NAPA and it come in a tube its called all-around Autobody Sealant. This is what i used and it worked very good. It run's around 25.00 a tube. :)

4. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

Not sure it is seam sealer, there is a butyl type tape stuff comes in strips or rolls that is in that location. Yes it is to seal the rail but seam sealer will be more like a glue than the butyl tape is.

5. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

You don't fill the back off the mouldings, they just need a bead of sealant to keep the water from seeping past them and act as a trough to divert water. I use a 3M product called "Strip-Calk" part # 08578. I've used this in the autobody business for years. In the case of the drip rails, without some kind of sealant it would be like the 70s Chev trucks, water leaks.

6. E's67ranchero

Sorry if i told you wroung :(. I gess the two body shops i spoke with told me wroung as well.:(

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

E 2 Different animals yours would use seam sealer.

8. E's67ranchero

Oh i see what you mean. I thought i had been told to do it the wrong way for the last 10 year's. I have ysed this stuff on 4 Resto's never had it move.Thanks i fell better now.:)

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

the 72 up drip rails are a removable piece of molding