Drivers Window VERY Hard to Roll Down

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by SouthCarolinaRanchero, Nov 10, 2020.

1. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

Usually it's the opposite....the window is hard to roll up but my drivers door is VERY hard to roll down.
    Can I just unscrew the crank handle and try spraying some lube in there??

2. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

No, you will have to pull the door panel and check the window mechanism. You will probably have to replace the plastic rollers on the track. Not a real hard job but you need little hands.
    Greg

3. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

What grebaba said. Some rollers are round and others are square. You can find them in the Dorman Help! section at your local auto parts store. Replace the old and broken rollers, clean and grease the guide tracks and as long as the window regulator is in good condition your windows will roll up and down like new.

4. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Do you guys know how the door panel comes off? I've never taken one apart before.
    Thanks in advance.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Easy, remove the crank, then the armrest (two bolts if you don't have a power accessory panel on the door), and then if you have a remote mirror, undo the set screw in the escutcheon. Once all those are undone, use a panel removal tool to pop out each of the clips along the front, rear and bottom of the panel and lift out.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I suggest that you don't try to clear the panel for each hole ... pry it up a little and put a small wedge behind the panel, and then move to the next one, etc. If you ever got rain in there the fiberboard will likely be damaged. Start at the bottom rear of the panel.

HuevosRanchero and Hillbilly like this.
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I did this recently on my '65, plus I adjusted the window tracks. Now my windows roll up & down easily.

8. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Ok so the clips just "pop" out of the holes? Gonna try not to break them

9. Jeff B.

65B445D7-CD9D-441C-9344-854A138E5D04.jpeg Get one of these. It slides between the clip and the panel to give the necessary support and avoid pulling the clips out of the panel instead of the door. The clips are readily available if you bend any putting the panel back in the door. I suggest having a few in hand just in case.

10. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Thanks Jeff.....What do they call that so I can search the web for one?......that looks metal, shouldn't it be plastic to not scratch?

11. Jeff B.

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There are plastic ones, but they aren't for steel clips. If you're worried about paint scratching, just put a section of thin cardboard on the door she'll before inserting the tool, and move it as you move the tool.

13. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Got the trim removal tools in the mail the other day....now need to find the time to do it!
    Ordered some new chrome look window cranks and clear knobs and got those today...look nice!

Jeff B. likes this.
  14. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Well folks looks like I got lucky.......I changed my window crank handles to some new ones and I squirted some spray lube in the drivers side hole and the window rolls up and down like NEW now!! (might be a temp fix, time will tell)
    So I have a set of trim tools for the next issue!

Thanks for all the replies! :D

HuevosRanchero likes this.