Driving: How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Mar 5, 2019.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Answer. When you back out of a parking spot, shift to D, hit the gas, then floor it thinking you are pushing on the brake pedal instead, followed by crashing into three cars and a tree. The last car in the path of destruction is my wife's C250, which will be paid off in one month. Now it will most likely be totaled. Not because it's not repairable, but because the replacement parts are expensive (the headlights, grille and radar unit add up to almost $6K).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Oopsie. Sorry to hear that the Mercedes Benz you bought for your wife was damaged beyond reasonable repair. At least she'll get that Bentley she's been wanting now.

True story... In the 1940's, my grandmother's sister was killed when an old timer panicked and hit the gas rather than the brakes and ran her over. She, too, was totaled.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

4. TestDummy

Me or FF? What's Alex going to do for me? Unless he can talk MB into lowering some parts prices a lot, not much.

5. Hillbilly

Whose got the dinged Merc ? He is a previous Mercedes tech who just maybe can set you up on some parts that won't kill your budget. Did you have insurance that will cover it or are you stuck with a killed car ? If the car's structure is still sound damn if I would let it be totaled. Economics is a player here it seems = There's times when you can buy an entire car like your's at COPART for less than $1000 and harvest what you need on your own. You then can offset the purchase price by turning what remains of your parts car into money. It's not like you don't know how to do this and that parts car IS OEM parts. Just sayin', Alex might know where one is on the cheap right now. If you liked your car, don't cry in your beer, get on the net and hunt what you need
    And don't sign any releases with the insurance companys until you are completely satisfied.

6. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

My Sister and I took away my Moms car keys at about 80.
    The check book and telephone were next to go.
    YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW AN OLD PERSON CAN GET INTO TROUBLE WITH A PHONE.
    It was a tough thing to do but had to be done.

7. ForistellFord

Sean's missus did. It's a total loss due to repair cost. I imagine the Ferrari he replaces it with will cost even more to fix.

8. TestDummy

Sad. I give my Dad big respect for voluntarily giving up his license. Although, it was after a couple close calls.
    No insurance company will keep dumping money into a car until it's fixed. That'd be idiotic. My car could be fixed, for sure, if you buy $13,002.50 in parts, then $500 in paint materials, and put a weeks worth of labor into it. And, even then, you need the MB diagnostics kit to calibrate the lights and radar so it's not blowing codes all the time. You'd end up with a car worth about $15K. No thanks. I don't have the time. Need a car pronto.

Times have changed, particularly in the last 8 years (more than the previous 30). Many techs today can't figure out how to calibrate the advanced systems on cars, let alone retired guys. No disrespect to this dude. I'm just stating facts which are based on my personal observations and industry surveys. The other fact is there are no aftermarket HID lamps or millimeter wave radar units on the market, so OEM prices are what you get. My car will probably fetch $8K at auction, tops.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  9. TestDummy

If I can get a Bentley or Ferrari for $17K,.....no, I still won't. I'm just glad she isn't begging for a Pacifica, or worse, a pontoon boat. Can you imagine.

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  10. ForistellFord

Translation: "I'm smarter than you or any of your antique friends, so why not just stop embarrassing yourself right now and stay on the sidelines." Nice job, Sean He was only trying to help.

11. TestDummy

That translation is a stretch. I've hung out at dealerships as they try to calibrate the cameras and radars. Only once did they actually follow the OE instructions. Four times they did a half-ass job that worked (didn't follow procedures, but didn't need to). One time they said we needed to buy a new camera because it wasn't working ($850). Turns out, all we needed to do was follow the OE calibration protocol. The days of shade tree mechanic are behind us. You also need to know how to use a computer, which admittedly isn't that difficult for some.

12. ForistellFord

I thought that was true when my '96 was a then-new vehicle. But now it's an easy to work on old dinosaur. Nah, as long as there are DIY folks like us around, there will always be shadetrees ready to hack on the most sophisticated tech they can produce. The duct tape and bailing wire is still the same, but maybe there are some new diagnostic tools in the box.

Hillbilly likes this.
  13. TestDummy

Okay, PC literate shade tree mechanics. That removed about 70% of those that think they are.

ForistellFord likes this.
  14. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hey, but maybe she can drive a pontoon in the HOV lane???

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  15. Hillbilly

Sean, you might want to look up Alex on his Youtube channel then tell me about him being an old retired fossil. Look for Legit Street Cars. Thanks to him I have all the latest Mercedes diagnostic tools on the cheap. If you can read English and follow directions there isn't anything on those cars a retired old fart like me can not resolve. Those cars have a striking similarity to what systems you find on a common Lincoln, right down to the Cosworth designed engines. You are right about those dealer techs, half of them hired directly off the street couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the directions on the heel. There isn't anything on those newer cars that approaches rocket science. IF YOU CAN READ and HAVE a BRAIN. My friend, you need to widen your horizons a bit and learn how to shop around. I think you be getting scalped on parts prices thru the channels you are aware of. Maybe consider having a third vehicle in your fleet too to give yourself a bit of breathing room when one is down ? Your back is against the wall time wise by not having a backup driver handy. Think of this as having a winter beater back home. Good luck on getting a decent resolve to your dilemma.

ForistellFord likes this.
  16. ForistellFord

Yeah, get his arrogant ass, Hillbilly!!

17. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Mebbe reconsider sending Chuck Norris for you light work... ? :p

18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Sean reveals to the fogey's insurance agent that he's with IIHS.........:eek::p

19. TestDummy

:rolleyes:
    They fund my paycheck, so I'll be nice.

Hillbilly and ForistellFord like this.
  20. TestDummy

Okay, I looked at his channel. Now what? I really don't think this guy would be interested in fixing my car. Maybe if I didn't have a job that required my daily presence, and if I had lots of spare money I could make it a hobby repair project. My wife needs a car ASAP, so it is what it is.