Driving: How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm just impressed that he side swiped four ish cars but center punched that little bitty tree :cool:

Cheers,

Doc

TestDummy likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

He was the Pinball Wizard a looong time ago.

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was thinking about his age last night. That dude was born just 11 years after the Titanic sank. He was a kid living through the Great Depression. He was likely a 'Boomer' after WW1. Probably drafted into WW2 because he turned 18 right in the middle. He was approaching middle age when the Beatles broke up. I was about to start HS when he was my current age. And I thought I was old.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

Damn you. Now I'm feeling old, even though I'm not yet elderly.

5. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Are you sure he's only 94? You're old as hell.

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

There are different ways of feeling old that have nothing to do with age.

7. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I saw an Old guy with a bumper sticker that said
    "You are only as Young as the Women you FEEL"

Hillbilly and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Still restricted to one woman, by choice,... But with the onset of Alzheimer's it's almost like cheating when she is a stranger occasionally.

plumcolr likes this.
  9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Everyone ages differently. I have two 102 year old aunts, one is literally a vegetable who can't remember what you said to her five minutes later when you visit her in the nursing home. The other still drives her MKZ Lincoln daily and manages a large dairy farm in South West Minnesota. It's all in the cards you're dealt at birth. Dad is still banging on cars at 80, he did have the good sense to sell off the horses though. I just hope I make it that far without becoming a problem for others. Sounds like the old guy that hit Sean's wife's car needs to be checked out for the early stages of dementia. Sadly, he was dealt a crappy hand of cards, at least he didn't kill anyone.

10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I don't know, man. Driving at 94 is doing pretty good. He was probably texting.

11. Hillbilly

Man, you hit a nerve there John. I have been nearly hit way too many times by idiots texting. Illegal here but if you watch other drivers closely you still see idiots texting instead of driving.

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I really want to mount a couple Go-Pro's in my truck and just drive up and down 64 & 264 for an hour then post that video up somewhere. Every 3 out of 5 cars I pass, people are texting, the 4th is on the phone. Pisses me off.

Cheers,

Doc

13. TestDummy

It's a huge problem now. Getting worse. At least once a week I brake or swerve out of the way of some asshat who crosses the centerline towards me (the main reason I got my dashcam). At work, last year, we stationed a bunch of observers at intersection, and such, in addition to a couple photographers in the back seat of our minivan as it drove around NoVa. We found that:

About 23 percent of drivers were engaged in one or more distracting activities:

• Talking on hand-held cellphone
    • Manipulating hand-held cellphone (excludes looking at phone in mount)
    • Simply holding hand-held cellphone (i.e. not obviously manipulating or talking)
    • Wearing Bluetooth earpiece or headset with mic
    • Wearing headphones or ear buds
    • Manipulating in-vehicle system (touching radio, climate control, touchscreen display or other controls; excludes operating stalks or buttons on steering wheel)
    • Manipulating or holding mobile electronic device other than cellphone
    • Talking or singing
    • Eating or drinking
    • Smoking
    • Grooming
    • Other (reaching for object, reading print material, adjusting sun visor, putting on glasses, holding another object)]
    https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desk...manipulations-up-57-percent-over-prior-survey

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sheesh, it's trickling down to mobility scooters:

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.00.43 PM.png

TestDummy likes this.
  15. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think a lot of it is how busy and involved you stay. Siddown in front of the boob tube and it's all over.

16. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think you're right. My maternal Grandmother lived to 105, and drove 'til 90 (Dodge's only- Grandpa's rule). But the both of them came up through the Depression, worked hard & farmed all their lives- always something to do on the farm.

17. TestDummy

My Grandmother drove her 77 Granada (2-door) through a red light. A cop watched as cars swerved and crashed into each other, trying to avoid Grandma. He followed her home, lights flashing, but she was oblivious. She was 85 at the time. She was still functioning on all cylinders, mentally, but her reflexes and sight were slower. That can't be avoided.

18. handy_andy_cv64

My grandma Ada had that happen. "Oh, I'm sorry officer, I thought you were going elsewhere." Or, at least, that's what Mom said she had said.

19. Hillbilly

I got the short straw once having to take away another aunt's car. All of a sudden friends came out of the woodwork to tell me about seeing her narrow escapes. The family knew of another elderly lady who drove an identical car so we decided to follow her and the aunt to see who was the culprit. The other lady drove like an Indy racer but never put anyone else in harm's way. My aunt unfortunately nearly caused three collisions while I watched her leave a local grocery. Clipping her wings was no fun. Took her keys but still heard of more adventures, went back and eventually found five sets of keys. I finally gave up and took her car to a friend's house and removed the wheels. She was totally oblivious to the near misses and had the gaul to deny taking her car out even after repeated key confiscations. I feel for anyone else having to take away an elderly relative's driving, sometimes it is necessary.

20. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

It's been a couple of weeks now, how did you come out with the insurance and what's the replacement car?