Drum Brake Sizes

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Jun 29, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I posted about brake shoe sizes last week, and how there doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason for what drum sizes were used on what vehicles. I was pretty sure that my shoe self-adjusters weren't working, so I figured I'd go into my brakes again today.

I found that the shoes were 10x2.25. There was still some meat on them, but the primary shoe is cracked into multiple pieces. Whoops! Time for new shoes. I also noticed that the FOMOCO drums were grooved on the braking surface, so I'd better replace them, too. Unfortunately, I can't find a 10x2.25 drum.

So, do I get a wider drum? If so, do I get wider shoes to match? Do I go narrower?

I know; go disc or go home. I want to, but don't have the $ right now. This is on a '64 with a 289, by the way.

Joseph

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There's no reason why you couldn't find a proper drum; try asking for a 10" drum for the same year Falcon wagon.

3. 62restomod

62restomod In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Check rockauto Joe.They sell drum/brake kit for cheap-ish.

5. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Well, I found 10x2.25, but RockAuto listed it for a 66+ Ranchero. Interesting enough, O'Reilly had it for my '64. Bottom line, I think I found what I need. Now, I just need to buy and install.

Thanks, everyone!

Joseph

6. LSChero

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

8. LSChero

Yeh,Kinda coin toss with china parts Quality..I always do a clean up cut on new drums once installed on hub,to make sure they are round.

9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Not only that, but I'm also using AC Delco drums, a (shudder) GM brand! The transplant may not take, putting (shudder) GM items into a Ford vehicle! At least, that can be my excuse if she doesn't stop after the new brakes are installed. ;)

Joseph