&%$#@ Drum Brakes!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Jul 8, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Grrr! So, I finally found my 10x2.25 brake shoes, and my 10x2.25 brake drums. Because of our earthquakes, I couldn't get into work, and had the afternoon off. Great! Some time to swap in the new parts, and have brakes again.

Got into it, and found that the old, cast drums had the wheel hub integrated into the drum, and the new one didn't! So, I STILL can't do my front brakes! Come on, Ford, it shouldn't be this hard to do my brakes! It's no wonder the PO didn't do the brakes; he couldn't find the parts!

Sorry, all, I'm just venting. It's just so frustrating when the parts are so impossible to identify. I'll pull the manual out tonight, but I don't think it lists part numbers.

Joseph

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Joseph, glad hear you are OK after the earthquake. Musta been a good ride. I could be wrong, but your hubs might just be rusted to the drums. Do you have them off the car?

3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Not yet. I'll check them tomorrow. All I can find this evening on the 'net are drums without spindles, so you may be right. I'll keep that in mind, if I get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

Joseph

4. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Also, I can't find just hubs anywhere, which is odd. I remember when I converted my truck to discs that I could find everything but the dust shields and the caliper brackets. Maybe Ranchero hubs are also one of those "unobtanium" items.

Joseph

5. Jeff B

I found a Ford hub interchange list on Hemmings but I need a real computer to look at it. I'll post when I can see it.

6. Jeff B

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Please do, or post the link. I found some Mustang hubs on the 'bay. Cha-ching! Pricey boogers. I can probably reuse my own, knowing that I have to. Ugh! I see an unpleasant afternoon with a sledge hammer or two in my future. :(

Joseph

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here's another source if you need hubs:

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 5.45.42 PM.png

Jeff B likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

10. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Non-flared drums? Flaring on the edge of the drum? Flaring elsewhere? At least, I have a part number!

Thanks, everyone!

Joseph

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Joseph, you might find some big rivets holding the front drums onto the hubs. If so you will need to drill them out or grind them off to separate the hub from the drum. Once those rivets are gone you can then work on the front brakes without having to mess with the front wheel bearings. you may have to grind away the splines on the lug studs that contact the drums too. Or run a round file thru the stud holes on the new drum until they are a slip fit. Worth doing if you plan on keeping drum brakes.

Jeff B likes this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

The only time I had problems with the drums was this winter, when they got wet. All of a sudden, OMG I HAVE NO BRAKES! Afterwards, when I saw cracked shoes and grooved drums, I understood why.

Tomorrow, I'll go back in and see if the drums separate from the hubs. If not, I guess I'll buy new. If so, I'll see if I can reuse the old ones.

&%$#@ drums!

Joseph

13. Jeff B

I found the article on Hemmings (May 2018) but it is a general list, not a chart like the article mentions, so no help there. Post up some pics of what you find. You may also have to back off the shoe adjuster to get the drum past the shoes if the old drum has a ridge at the outside edge.

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If they're not riveted, as Hillbilly suggested, they may be assembled, as they were on truck front drums, where the studs hod on to both the hub and drum, and all of them would need to be knocked out to separate them, then knocked back in, using a deep socket as a 'die' to hold both together while pounding in each drum.

Jeff B likes this.
  15. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I tried working on my &%$#@ drum brakes today. There is no way on God's green earth that the hub is going to separate from the drum. Fifty years of wear and6 tear have made them one. So, I put the new shoes in the old drums. Stopping is better, but unsat. Unfortunately, that also means that I can't use those shoes on new drums.

So, the bottom line is that I will need new hubs, bearings, seals, and lugs/studs. So, to keep drums, or step up to discs? I guess I have to run the numbers. &%$#@ drum brakes, or &%$#@ re-plumbing everything?

Joseph

16. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I think the hub and drum are held together with the wheel studs. There is just no way that everything is going to separate. It has become one of those time-vs-money issues. I have neither, but buying new hubs, etc will let me continue to drive while getting everything together.

Joseph

17. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm reaching way back in my hole filled memory but the mechanic in the boat yard I worked at as a kid had this "thing" that was his "brake drum remover". It was a small base bottle jack, mebby 1.5 ton and a 1" square steel bar about 12 - 16" long and two pieces of rebar or something similar that were bent to go over the bar and down to form two "J" 's. He would put the bottle jack in the center of the hub/axle, the bar across the tops and hook the "J"'s to the back of the brake drum. It required 4 hands which is how I got to see it "Hey Kid com'ere an hold this". He'd get it snugged up and add pressure and hose the everything down with "CRC" (kinda like PB Blaster just 40 years ago). He'd slow pump that jack and every now and then whack the brake drum with a maul. Invariably the drum would give up and come off. One thing he did mention "Make sure you turn the star ratchet all the way in to get the pads out of the way." Evidently one time the customer had worn a 1/8" deep grove into the drum because they couldn't get the drum off so he kept driving it on the steel backer!

Cheers,

Doc

colnago likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Older cars were similar; they used a forcing screw with J-hooks that attached to the lug studs. Then you put a dumbbell-like piece on the end of the forcing screw, and you whacked it with a hammer to pull the drum and hub off the axle shaft stub.

colnago likes this.
  19. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I recall using a tool that would cut the swaging off of the studs, when lug studs were in use to hold drums in place. They can be a PITA to separate, but a dead blow hammer, some wood blocks, and lots of penetrating oil should help you out.

20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I just placed an order for new hubs, and will place an order for bearings/races/seals/studs tonight. Is there any trick to seating the races flush?

Joseph