&%$#@ Drum Brakes!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Jul 8, 2019.

1. 62restomod

62restomod In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I have never applied a lubricant between the hub and race. To help ease it in you could freeze the race for awhile but it is not necessary
    The biggest thing on installing them is to hit the race squarely,makes it easier to install

pmrphil likes this.
  2. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I hear you there. Otherwise, I expect the race starts going in tilted to one side, and binds the entire time down (if it doesn't get boogered out of being useful in the process).

It sounds like you've done this before. I'd bring everything over, plus a couple of six-packs, but you're about 3,000 miles away.

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You want to ensure the driver and race are fully vertical, so that the press-fit is equally applied. If it does go off-kilter, tap the race out and try again. With a bit of experience, knocking these in will become second nature.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jeez, relax, it's not rocket science. If you have a socket that's real close to the same diameter, use that.

pmrphil likes this.
  5. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I'm gonna remember that with each blow of the hammer!

"If this was on Apollo 11, we never would have made it!" :D

Joseph

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

My father in law worked on the Apollo missions. From what he said your hammer would fit right in.

colnago likes this.
  7. 62restomod

I have used a drift punch, the race installer tool, and sockets. They all work
    The race installer tool is the least frustrating
    set the race in the hub use the appropriate adaptor and wack it with a 26 or 32 oz. hammer after you are pissed off at someone ( gets it all out)

You will not booger the race it is of a very hard alloy and the hub is softer and forgiving

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. 62restomod

Bring it on over it's only a 4 day drive. Beer is welcome

colnago likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Just a 32-oz hammer? I'm surprised. I would have thought I needed heavier than that. Good to know the hub will give sooner than the race. It's gotta be hard, to take the constant wear-and-tear of a rotating wheel.

Well, it might take me longer than that. I still have an overheating problem when I take her out of town, but the brakes have a higher priority. I still need to check for a leaking head gasket, etc, but that's another thread. By the way, my current "brew" is O'Douls. Not quite as satisfying as the real thing, but pretty good, and mama doesn't worry if I reach for another one.

Joseph

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My late friend Ed, his dad was an aerospace engineer and worked for Boeing on the Stage 1 booster in Michaud, LA(?). He said his dad told him the same thing, with the joke, "For more precision work, hit it with a bigger micrometer."

colnago likes this.
  11. 62restomod

Just wondering how you made out with the races?

12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That will be my "tomorrow project." It took forever for everything to come in. Meanwhile, while waiting, my wife remarked, "You know, it's a wonderful time to work in the back yard …"

So now, I have hubs, races, drums, wheel studs, brake shoes, a hardware kit, a tool for installing races, and my BFH. Oh, and ear muffs. So, I'll probably spend all day tomorrow making noise in the garage.

Joseph

13. 62restomod

Ok, you can use a bigger hammer! Put the pieces on a scrap piece of 2x material on the floor solid is solid will cut down on some of the noise
    Note : send the wife out for the day!!!!!!

colnago likes this.
  14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Put it on top of a 2x4 or 2x6 very little noise.

colnago likes this.
  15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

The ground is still shaking out there, keep your extremities clear while it's on the stands. Car parts are replaceable, our parts are not.

colnago likes this.
  16. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

When I was young and into bicycle riding (hence, my avatar being for Colnago bicycles), the joke was that if you went down, land on your side. Road rash heals. Paint doesn't. I know; now that I'm in the death half of life, that's pretty sick.

On the shaking, it's kind of odd. We'll get nothing for days, then out of the blue, a gentle jostle. Yesterday morning, we rode the wave for about five seconds.

Joseph

17. 1965 Ranchero 66G

I went through 4 of the major shakers out there from the early 70s to the early 90's

18. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That pre-dates me. I grew up in Santa Barbara. We had a big quake in '79 (I think). I came out to China Lake in '85, when we still had one traffic light in town. A very conservative area, especially then. The locals would have a picket line around the local bookstore on weekends, because it sold Playboy.

Joseph

19. 62restomod

You just educated me on bikes, I had no idea they existed.
    With that said, you could buy another Ranchero with what they cost!!

20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Installed the races this morning. They went in like butter. I really worried for nothing.

Next question. Now that the races are in, the next step is the wheel studs. So, I'm hammering them in, one at a sweaty time. They're snug on the hub, but they are not snug on the drum. While the drum can't rotate independently of the hub, the studs don't hold them as a single assembly. Is this right? As I recall, discs are separate from the hub, but I thought drums were held together to the hub.

Joseph