Dura-nospark

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Jeff B., Jul 31, 2021.

1. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Thanks AiA but what I’m searching for is the complete harness diagram.

2. Alan in Alabama

Alan in Alabama In First Gear

3. Jeff B.

Practically the last thing original on this vehicle are the wiring harnesses so that definitely isn’t a barrier to correct the underlying problem. Thanks for the info and your interest!

4. Jeff B.

My 1974 solid state (not DuraSpark, that came out in 1975) ignition system is a unicorn I swear. For the benefit of anyone who is looking for at least a partial diagram here’s one I drew tracing my wiring.

BTW, my resistor circuit was working as designed. I had the ignition control module unplugged while taking readings and didn’t realize that was affecting my reading. When I reconnected it and measured at the coil + there was 5.97v. Perfect!

The final piece of the ignition puzzle was the distributor pickup. I went through FOUR before finding one that worked. I will never buy a Standard Ignition LX204 pickup again and recommend the NAPA MP700SB. FWIW.

Anyway here’s the diagram. I hope it helps someone, sometime, somewhere.
    7421AE9F-39C0-40F4-9093-98788D687B9D.jpeg

5. Alan in Alabama

Alan in Alabama In First Gear

JeffB... Thank you for posting the follow-up after you fixed it. Many on car forums ask for help, then never a follow-up on results or a leave a thank you to those that helped with the repair.

6. Jeff B.

That’s exactly the reason for the follow-up. I’ve done way too many searches that ended in a dead end. I am not too proud to ask for help, and want to return the favor of responses by completing the circle for others that may follow.