EGR valve

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Sep 5, 2022.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The old metal ones would be the hardest to open, the plastic ones can be cut. And, of course, a lotta duct tape is your friend.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Good question -- but in theory it (charcoal) cleans itself. Just air movement should do it. If you can get one open you might give the contents a few minutes in a heated oven, that should do it.

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

I think the charcoal is in a bag, the questions are, though, what is it made of, and can you get it to replace the old one?

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Maybe scavenge some from a newer car if the original charcoal is beyond redemption ? Don't know if it is in pellet form or made into a honeycomb like in some cat converters. Never investigated a crushed one at the salvage yards.

5. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

My local Ford Service Manager told me that the charcoal canisters are never serviced and only replaced if damaged in a collision. But, that was in the early 1990s. Who would figure that some of us would still be driving Rancheros in the 2020s?

6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, no kidding. I have replaced truck and Panther platform canisters, which are similar to the late Seventies plastic ones, but I've never done an A-B comparison of them.

7. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Easy to "replenish" the charcoal canister. Toss it in the grill the next time you fire it up with charcoal - and leave it there.

Hillbilly likes this.
  8. Hillbilly

That works for the metal ones Clark, but the newer plastic cased ones leave a horrible aftertaste on the food on the grill.

9. Hillbilly

In all honesty, those charcoal canister vapor collectors are one of the least obnoxious smog parts that have been inflicted upon our vehicles. Aside from a tiny weight gain due to the plumbing, they aren't robbing power from the engines like some of the other crap tossed on modern vehicles. I tend toward removing all the offending junk from my builds BUT, I like to keep the vapor recovery systems intact if it was already present on my vehicles.

The Wrench likes this.
  10. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

On my '75 GT, there was a steel vent line that ran all the way up the right hand side of the truck from the gas tank to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. When changing out gas tanks for the first time, I checked that vent line and found it to be totally plugged. So much for the metal charcoal canister.

The steel vent line has proved however to be useful. I used it, with wire ties, to support a 12 AWG power line from the engine compartment back to the EFI fuel pump.