Electric fan wiring

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by cbolt, May 20, 2019.

1. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I am converting to a Spal electric fan and have a wiring question.

I ordered the wiring kit from the vendor and what I received was a kit that has both a 30A breaker and a 40A fuse. The instructions show wiring the kit using the breaker as circuit protection and don't address the fuse whatsoever. I feel the fuse was included in the kit for a reason but cannot find a diagram which uses both a breaker and fuse for circuit protection. I have found systems that utilize a 5A breaker for protection between the switched ignition source and the relay, but nothing that depicts a circuit breaker and fuse in the same system.

Can anyone shed some light on the reason my kit has both a fuse and breaker? Has anyone else used both in a fan electrical circuit?

Should I just use the breaker and discard the fuse? Should I use the fuse and discard the breaker? Does this paragraph sound like the end of an episode of "Soap"?

Just trying to get my ride squared away.

The vendor is no help. They sell the parts they get from their distributor.

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Is their any identification of the manufacturer on the packaging that would help you contact them directly.

3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I'm no expert on electric fans, but you should have one circuit for the fan motor, and a separate circuit for the fan controller (although the fan motor circuit may go through the controller). That's the only way I could see both a breaker and a fuse being used. I would not use them in series on the same circuit.

Also, does the fan have a max rating? If I recall correctly,

P = IE (wattage = voltage * amperage)

With the fan info, you can probably figure what breaker protection you need to provide.

Joseph

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You may be right,just an option to use CB or fuse.Never installed electric fan,but put 140amp CB in 3g alt.install a couple years ago no issues.
    Did you upgrade alternator 100-130 amp?
    SAM_4422.JPG

cbolt and colnago like this.
  5. cbolt

Joseph, I agree with you about the need for a breaker and a fuse. What is puzzling is the kit contains a 30A breaker, and a 40A fuse. I would think if they were meant to be interchangeable as a method for circuit protection they would have the same amp rating.

The wiring kit contains instructions only. I will call the fan manufacturer later today (Its 5:30am) and see if they can shed light on the wiring puzzle. If I follow the included wiring diagram and instructions it will be pretty simple.... but that will leave me with a leftover part, a fuse, and that is what worries me.

6. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I like LSChero's diagram. It shows a circuit breaker between the battery and relay, and a fuse between the ignition and the relay.

Joseph

7. cbolt

I ran it down to the source. The vendor included a fuse in case the relay goes bad. They recommend the relay for installation.

That was weird

colnago likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think it's because the relay they provide is not very good, or, no matter how good, it wears out quickly, so the fuse is a 'quick fix' to get you home or to a garage.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

One of the members gave me a brand new Spal unit, and the diagram LS provided is an excellent setup, including the override/bypass switch. So as long as the controller and fan motor work, no matter what happens with the circuit protection, you'll always make it home.

cbolt likes this.
  10. cbolt

We will see. By the time I got my answer it was too hot to finish the wiring. Ill knock it out first thing in the morning and then go back to the drawing board on the tapping once I establish the fan actually works as advertised.

11. LSChero

Circuit breaker should have a reset button..I would test it before installing.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  12. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Unless it's the clicker type that resets itself when it cools.

13. LSChero

Yeh,probley right Skip,only 30 amp.

14. cbolt

The type that resets.

15. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

did you check the amp draw from the fan? that caused me headaches when i installed an electric fan on my mustang. i had to upgrade to a 150 amp alternator. beware "advertised" amp ratings. they are a lot lower than advertised. it'll be crucial when at idle engine rpm and you have other electronics on like heater blower motor or headlights etc.

16. MIKESTANATOR

MIKESTANATOR In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

17. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

A stock large case 130 amp 3G alternator will handle just about any electric cooling fan assembly, up to 80 amps at idle and about 160 amps at full tilt(they are underrated). Lester #7765 works quite well to replace a 1G Ford alternator and it's satellite voltage regulator.

MIKESTANATOR likes this.
  18. cbolt

My 'lectric fan works great. Kicks on when it should and kicks off when it cools.