Engine pull

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by zerolash, Jan 9, 2018.

1. zerolash

zerolash In Second Gear

79 Chero going to pull motor. Which is easier to pull w/ trans or without? I have the motor torn down to short block.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Short block? Well, just reach in and yard that bad boy out!

Just kidding! whether you pull the engine with or without, you have to get underneath. It's the choice of inspection cover, T/C nuts and bellhousing bolts vs. trans mount, trans crossmember, driveshaft and fluid dumping all over. I'd go with the former. Besides, removing the trans mount and the crossmember, when you don't have power tools, sucks mightily.

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What he says. And he forgot trans lines fittings that strip out when trying to remove them. With a long extension, and impact swivel, you can get all 6 trans to engine bolts loosened from the bottom, while your down there taking off the starter and removing T/C bolts.

4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I've always pulled the engine and trans separately....seems like there's barely enough room to get the combo out together and run the risk of damaging something...also requires lifting them higher...ceiling height and hoist capability can play a factor.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh, yeah, I forgot the starter.

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I always pull as unit.To old to be crawling around on my back any more than I have to.Tons of room with your 302,even with header on drivers side.
    Remove pulley from damper,zip tie yoke in tail shaft.Dont forget to change front seal on tranny before reassembly.
    [​IMG]

7. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Ive done it both ways. It can be easier separating the engine from the trans outside the vehicle. Overall I would say easier to remove them together, but not so much that it matters. Whichever way you decide to do it, have a few friends on hand to help guide everything out smoothly.