EVs- yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by beerbelly, Feb 13, 2020.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I just watched Jay Leno drive the new Porsche Taycan EV, a Porsche with no sound. Werid! I admire the tech of the EVs, but just can't seem to consider them 'real cars', having been raised during the muscle car era. I've watched Formula E, and felt the same way; it's like watching big RC cars on a track. And I can't imagine the planning & hassle involved in a long road trip, looking for and using a charging station- have you seen this Tesla charging station video?
    https://digg.com/video/watch-a-ridiculously-long-line-of-teslas-wait-to-get-charged
    No thanks, when there are gas stations on every block nationwide, allowing me to drive as long as I wish each day, hassle-free. Charging infrastructure seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome before EVs are widely accepted. And maybe a dwindling supply of the rare earth materials needed to produce batteries. And poor cold & hot weather battery life. And no sound, like a V8 burbling down the highway...

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It is werid to think of them as cars. But geez, there's as old as internal combustion.

Around 1832, Robert Anderson develops the first crude electric vehicle, but it isn't until the 1870s or later that electric cars become practical.

MaxInValrico likes this.
  3. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

...its 2020 and they are still not practical!

4. ForistellFord

Can't beat the driving range, fuel availability, and 'charge time' of a gas/diesel engine, that's for sure!

Jimbob and beerbelly like this.
  5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I am in the thought stage of getting a plug in hybrid
    While not a total electric it will be better for a local go getter running on charged battery power and then for long trips run on battery and as power goes down gas gen starts, charges battery and in between you have brake regeneration not a bad compromise IMHO!

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

While I wouldn't be averse to a plug in electric for local use, am not yet satisfied that the long term battery life cycle concerns have been ironed out. I suppose I could lease so the issue for me would be non-existent - lease expires, turn it in and it's their problem. But I'm dinosaur brain averse to leasing... (Can't get there from here). Can't see ownership on my horizon while long term environmental impacts are yet to be fully understood. JMO, YMMV, to each his/her/it's own...

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

They have their place. That being plugged in somewhere.

ForistellFord likes this.
  8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Too many negatives as EV's currently stand for me to even give them any credibility. Infrastructure can't support charging a fleet of them at this time and seriously, where will the extra kilowatts come from, unicorn farts ? Anyone have the facts on how much battery replacement and disposal of the worn out battery packs will cost EV owners ?

beerbelly likes this.
  9. Jimbob

..and if they could make a longer lead for them, say 500+ miles, they would be awesome.

10. Jimbob

Thats one of my issues with them, what happens to the millions of dead batteries they we end up with? I asked a Tesla guy once how much to replace the battery pack, he said it would be more effective just to buy a new car....Ill pass, although i guess the after market will get on board at some point. My 'newest' vehicle, and daily driver is a 20 year old Silverado with 300k on it, still years of life left in it yet. Ill stick with that i think.

beerbelly likes this.
  11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

unicorn farts! Love it!

12. ForistellFord

And when they get on the secondary or tertiary market, have no warranty support and replacement parts are prohibitively expensive, they will be recycled long before their internally combusted brethren will be.

13. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Been waiting on the crazy cat lady tree hugger up the street to get one so I can ask her hubster how much the power bill changes...

14. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

15. 65restomod

Read this about tax credits for EV's may sound good when you buy but for most people it is not even a wash unless you have a big tax bill.
    Depending on where you live there could be state and local incentives including some from the Electric company
    I have read about the battery pack being stolen out of a Prius
    one line of the small print reads like this:
    As noted earlier, if you're leasing a vehicle, the credit stays with the manufacturer that's offering the lease since it is the actual owner of the car. In most cases, however, the tax credit has been factored into the cost of the lease, so the customer still benefits.
    https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html
    https://pluginamerica.org/why-go-plug-in/state-federal-incentives/
    And who ever said it," its better to throw it away after the warranty is up or needs battery replacement"
    I think I just talked myself out of one!

16. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Third Gear

Where I live most of the power is generated via coal fired steam turbines. EV's are filthy dirty coal burners not to mention how nasty battery production, recycling and disposal is.

What's the more efficient process, burning gas to make torque or burning coal to make steam to turn a turbine to turn an alternator to make low voltage then transforming it up to high voltage then transmitting it hundreds of miles then stepping it down to distribution voltage then distributing more miles then stepping it down again to 240V to charge a battery to power an electric motor to make torque?

I know the internal combustion engine isn't the most efficient but neither are steam boilers, transformer losses, line losses and battery charging.

Will we run out of coal and lithium first or gasoline first?

What's cleaner, burning gas or burning coal?

17. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Got a ride in a Tesla SUV and when owner hit the gas(?) it put me in my seat pretty good, but the howling V8 was very much missing. Very weird. There are articles running now about Tesla Corporate disabling features that came from the factory on used units and the shortage of parts for repairs. Even the motorcycle manufacturers are getting into it. I am not a Harley guy, but an electric HD totally breaks the mold. Lots of stuff going on, and they are carving out a spot in the market but it is a whole new ballgame. And no thanks, I will stick to dino fuel for now.

Hillbilly likes this.
  18. 65restomod

As I said previously I have thought about Hybrids but now I'm going to stick to gas, as retires we now have cut our fuel consumption by at least 70% we both used to have real jobs and in my commute I would have to fill up every 4 days then my wife would have to fill up once a week.
    Now ,we still have 2 vehicles and only 1 vehicle goes out now at a time and it is filled up maybe every 3 to 4 weeks.
    So no need for E. We are doing our part..
    Just a little story about hybrids,About 9 years ago I flew in to DTW for work and went to Budget to pick up my rental and loaded my luggage in the trunk found out it had a dead battery. I went to the next car and loaded the trunk up found out that battery was also dead. Went to the next row and jumped into a brand new Ford Fusion turned the key and again thought the battery was dead. Calming down after a rant to myself I realized that the Fusion was hybrid and could not hear it run.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, Tesla created a nice underground economy. Common for folks to "Jailbreak" their used or rebuilt Teslas because the company went behind everyones back and disabled features the car was sold with new. Then Tesla has the gaul to ask $8000 or more to unlock said features they stole from the new buyers. That equates to buying a used Mustang and having Ford steal the fuel tank then charge you to replace it. I don't think so !

20. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

I'm still hoping the hydrogen powered cars are going to put the battery electrics out to pasture.