EVs- yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by beerbelly, Feb 13, 2020.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

They're here to stay. Too many sheeple out there 'proud to save the planet' by not using a dinosaur gobbling evil machine. They don't even realize the size of the carbon footprint it makes just building one of those things.

2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Yea, That would be nice but it is the same for them No retail infrastructure
    There are some fill stations but it is mostly fleets.

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

A few years back (maybe still?) Honda made Civics that had a natural-gas engine -- and sold as an accessory a pump that was fed from local gas pipes that would fill the Civic's tank overnight. Would make a natural alt-fuel commute car.

4. 65restomod

Back in the late 90's Volvo had a few 'mules" that were run on Nat. gas and they had a fill pump at Corporate HQ.Last I can remember the pump is still there but cars disappeared and all forgotten. There did not seem to be a whole lot of interest from the public.
    Again it was hard to set up a station network

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

To be fair, they are awesome to drive. The Audi E-Tron is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever driven, and the Tesla S P90 the fastest thing I've ever driven. A co-worker has a Volt and has put one tank of gas in it since 2017. Charges it at work, which gets him home and back.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I crashed a few Hyundai Nexo's last year. They are techno marvels. Only California has places to fill hydrogen cars now.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I wonder why the same infrastructure for natural gas could not be used for hydrogen. Both gases at low pressure, liquid at high pressure. Don't know which has higher BTU's per cubic foot and hydrogen does not pollute. Must be too good so big companies would lose money.

8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hydrogen is a bitch. Very tricky to deal with. The flame from hydrogen is all but invisible. The molecules are so small they leak thru tubing, albeit slowly. Also the energy density is very low for a given volume.

There is a LNG filling station near me, 2 islands, 6 pumps. Very occasionally I will see a vehicle there, usually a gas company truck which has been converted,
    NJ transit had some of their buses running on gas for a while, in commuter service Lakewood to NY City. Don't think there are any left.

It's a great fuel for IC engines because there is almost zero oil contamination, they go forever, especially in stationary service.

9. 65restomod

10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I wonder how "delighted" the taxpayers of LA County feel about this fire truck. It is wonderful how they spend the people's money.

11. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

its a much better solution in my estimation....fill it like petrol...go 300 or so miles ...repeat.. byproduct of water. None of the pitfalls of batteries..

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. 65restomod

13. 65restomod

14. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Me too. I have been watching Plug power closely with their hydrogen cells.

15. 65restomod

16. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Charging a EV takes as much power as a house uses in a week. The 240 volts in your garage will not put out the amps that it takes to charge an EV. Your welder puts out 200 amps an EV requires over 600 or a lot more.
    The tree huggers talk about how they are saving the planet but when you ask them where the power to charge their EV's come from they don't have a clue. May be from solar or wind. Not in my state-we use NG and coal in our power plants-some wind but you pay extra for it.
    In the winter your battery range is reduced by over half when the weather gets cold.
    If you are a technician and have to work on these you should see the safety sheets you have to deal with. Hard to believe how dangerous these are to the mechanic.
    In an accident the EMT's are in danger from the batterys with the high voltage. Get a shredded high voltage wire shorted and you have a dead EMT.
    As you can see I love these death traps.
    Greg

17. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not to mention, the batteries are classed as Class Delta materials, requiring special firefighting techniques and materials. And, if the car is severely damaged, such that the battery disconnect cannot be reached, it means letting the battery consume itself before applying any firefighting material on it to knock down the flames.

18. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Yeah, Just what I want my mom to drive.
    I won't let them in my shop but that's just me.
    Greg

19. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Fuel tax is about 50 cents a gallon which is supposed to pay towards road maintenance. We drive how many miles a year at how many miles per gallon? EVs pay how much a gallon tax and how many miles a year? We are paying their share of fuel tax, plus the government gives an "incentive" when one is bought new .

20. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The State of Washington is considering an 'odometer' tax as an alternate taxation on road use for hybrids and EVs, and those hybrid owners who opt for it would be rebated/credited for the tax monies they do pay at the pump.