EVs- yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by beerbelly, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

For me, électic is a good idea. it perform really well ... But for now this is an other pollution with batteries and to produce electricity for those batterie.
    I think it's now worst tan a petrol engine but this is the futur.

To be honest all electrics I've drive was terribly performing but without saoul. My 6 cylindres diesel have more saoul ;-(

2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Yea , you have to use other than "D" batteries ;)

3. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I live in Vancouver BC where electricity is produced with water dams and they have charging stations everywhere. I wait in line for gas way longer than my brother in law has to wait to plug in his Tesla at home. He doesn't even know what gas costs anymore it's been so long since he's been to a gas station and his electricity bill has gone up $6 a month. His car is fast as hell and drives like a dream. If I could afford it, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Maybe even switch the Ranchero to EV one day!!!

4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

The website on the link below estimates 3-5 cents per mile in electricity costs to charge. I would imagine the public charging stations are a bit more than at home, but will still be less than gas? I can find out...have some friends in the bay area that drive electrics. One big drawback is the time it takes to recharge, the limited range (meaning cross country trips are not practical), and the service level needed at your home if you want the fastest charge time available.

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/h...as-the-cost-to-charge-other-electric-vehicles

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I have an Tulsa friend who's waiting in line for a new Tesla; he insists there will be no problem cuz the dash will inform you when you need a recharge, display a map where to find a charger hookup. I suspect that a few of them get towed to the next place to get a refill.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not towed--there are gennie-equipped trucks that come out, give you some charge, enough to get you to a charging station. Likely costs just as much as a tow, though.

7. stabmasterarson

Actually I believe for Tesla if you ever run out of charge you get free towing or charge help or whatever to get you to home or to a charging station for the lifetime of your vehicle. After going for a ride in my in-laws, no one will be able to convince me Tesla makes bad cars or offers bad service. I still love my V8 Ranchero with a 351 Cleveland for fun but an electric is just a better daily driver in my opinion. The only reason I'm not getting one is that I don't buy new cars, only used.

8. handy_andy_cv64

And I think that is where Tesla is going to kill their electric car business--disregarding the used market. There are already companies working to get around the bricking.

9. 65restomod

That is why used EVs are so cheap
    Just remember the cost of buying a used EV will be a whole lot less than buying the new battery pack

10. handy_andy_cv64

Or a transaxle. I remember when the hybrid Escape and Highlander came out, a replacement transaxle (if not covered by warranty) was over $7000!

11. stabmasterarson

I'm pretty sure battery packs for the model x are $10,000 CAD. That's a hefty price tag. But I think those will come down as technology advances and alternatives become available

12. 65restomod