Famous Rancheros

Discussion in 'Ranchero History' started by Rancherous, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I was watching a mid-60's movie The Chase with Angie Dickenson, Jane Fonda and some guys (Redford, Brando). There's maybe a '64/'65 Ranchero passing behind the actors.

This movie must have been sponsored by Ford because almost every '65 Ford 2-door hardtop (Calienta, Merc, Ford) is featured. Great looking, ah, cars.

2. FordManMT

FordManMT In Second Gear

3. 72cj4spd

72cj4spd In First Gear

in the movie White Line Fever a 73 or 74 ranchero is used to deliver some bootleg smokes to a truck driver that the sheriff has pulled over.

4. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

I did not see a 77-79 GT

there is a 73 Ranchero hauling a motorcycle when the stunt people are driving together,I think they were on thier way to the Palomino Club. There is also a 73 base model 4dr Torino that they use as a stunt car and Hooper(Burt) jumps it and rolls it over at the end.

here are a few photos from the movie I took from my TV

73 Ranchero
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rods N Restos

here is the 4 dr Torino stunt car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ah, the base Torino. Talk about a trim level that got no respect.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

True. I think that it would make a great Ranchero modification, as someone here brought up previously.

[​IMG]

This looks just like the underside of my CV. I know because I just changed the oil.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

8. Rods N Restos

over at grantorinosport.org we have a few members with base model cars.
    one of the members took a 75 Gran Torino wagon and changed it to a 73 base model nose to
    be a Tribute car of the one his dad bought new in 1973.

the only problem with base model's is that the parts are harder to find as most of them got crushed back in the day as they are not as popular to restore so not many people save those parts for resale.

I kinda made a base model Ranchero back in 87 as I bought a 73 Torino base model and it was
    a rust bucket the bottoms of the fenders,doors and quarters were gone. my uncle had a
    74 Ranchero 500 with 351C 2v that the front frame rotted out at the control arm stablizer and he bought a new Ford P/U to replace it. I liked the sepperate headlight bezels and grille so I swapped the rust free 74 nose and doors onto the 73 Torino and then put the 73 base model nose on the 74 Ranchero,but then I cut the metal out of the side of the Ranchero quarters to patch the Torino quarters and plucked the motor and trans and sent the rest to the scrapyard.
    I was young and dumb and should have used the 73 Torino frame to patch the 74 Ranchero frame
    and kept the Ranchero as it was solid besides the frame problem.
    In 93 I pulled the 351C that came from the Ranchero and junked the Torino as I had no place to store the car and was moving out of state. alot of good parts when to scrap that day
    which was a shame and kick myself today for doing it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
  9. Rods N Restos

10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The later model CV's and GM's have independant rear suspensions that would be a fairly easy bolt-on to another Ford car with a full frame (e.g. a Ranchero).

11. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

Now thats alot of fab work, 100's if not 1000 plus to do all that fab work. It will be the only one like it .

12. jalex1941

jalex1941 In Third Gear

74 ranchero at the gas pump in maximum overdrive

13. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

Attached Files:

14. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Barry Weiss on Storage Wars was driving a '57 on one show I saw last night:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

OK, this is really obscure but I'll mention it for the legend ... the movie is Magic Trip -- about Ken Kesey and his LSD tripping in the mid 1960's, made from 16mm film shot by his friends on their cross-country trip in an ancient school bus. In the 10th deleted scene, Kesey and some friends are in a field when up drives a really nice gray '62 Chero, which was on camera for some minutes. That was by far the best part of the movie.

16. burninbush

And another sighting; in the recent movie Larry Crowne, about 60% through it there's a yard sale scene, and some guy has the hood up working on a black '71 -- on camera for 30 seconds or so. No reason in the script for him to be there at the yard sale working on the car, had no part in the movie. An OK movie if you like Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts -- though it's all pretty improbable.

17. diggette

diggette In Maximum Overdrive

groovy bb:cool:

18. burninbush

groovy bb:cool: >diggette

++++++++++++++

Ah ... well then, you'd probably enjoy reading a book by a really good writer, Tom Wolfe, about the same events -- the book is The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. The driver of the Magic Bus is Neal Cassady, the same guy who drove road trips with Jack Kerouac in On The Road. How did he come together with Kesey? Synchronicity, that's how.

19. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Urban Cowboy, 1980 There is a 77-9 Ranchero in the parking lot at Gilley's in front of a Dodge "Lil Red Wagon", couldn't see it very well, looked kind of rough like maybe partially primered

20. Blue79

Blue79 In First Gear

Just caught the last ten minutes of "Made in USA". A garden variety cross country road trip in a '79 GT.

-jk