First Post...

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GTODave, Dec 15, 2004.

1. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

Hello everyone!! Just found this forum from the ford-trucks board, and it's excellent to see this many people into the old Rancheros like I am. I have a 74 500 that I turned into a 72 thanks to a Gran Torino Sport donor. It's equipped with the original 351C, but this winter is getting Aussie heads and a Funnelweb intake put on. It stops a bit better courtesy of the popular Lincoln rear disc swap, and all bushings have been replaced with polys. Transmission is a C6 which leads to a t-lock with 3.89 gears. Although not too popular with the mainstream, I love the car(truck?) and have tons of fun with it.
    I see one of the moderators, Ranchero.us is from Buffalo. Where about, and are you really "Ranchero-less" at this time? I don't see too many around here, most rusted out long ago I assume in our salt infested, snow covered area.
    Also, most of the Rancheros I see have the single letters on the tailgate, where as mine has the big FORD panel. Was it or the letters an option, or only offered a few years?
    Glad to be a part of the community.

Dave :D

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Welcome Dave!!!

Do ya have the mesurments you used for the front of the frame to mount 72 bumper? i have a 72 GT front clip to go on the Pyl sooner or later

3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Dave I live in Cheektowaga. I had a 73 that is on the front cover of www.ranchero.us (the teal and black one). The single F O R D letters on the tailgate signifies a GT. The 500s came with the block FORD on the gates.
    I am doing a 73 Q code 4 speed Torino Fastback now that is why I am rancheroless LOL. Once I get it done I will look into another Ranchero but money is tight now.When did you get your Chero? because I know I have not seen it. There are about 5 other Rancheros in the area that I know of locally.
    Are you doing Aussie 2V heads or CHI Alumimun heads? A few engines in the Engine Masters Contest used the CHIs and had awesome results with them. I know Edelbrock is releasing an Alumimun version of the C head also.
    Welcome Neighbor

4. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

5.0 Chero - to be honest, we didn't measure a thing when we did the swap. I remember we cut the frame back since it hit the fenders (I think, it was a few years ago), then my buddy welded up some L brackets that we mounted to the 72 brackets and the side of the frame like the factory 74 ones did. It actually was fairly easy and worked out quite well.

Ranchero.us - I grew up in Cheektowaga, 4 blocks from William and Harlem. Now I'm near Main and Eggert. My 74 used to be gold, now it's purple. I have to say I don't recall ever seeing yours either. I've owned mine since 1993, after smashing my Grand Prix. I'm using Aussie 2V heads. Aluminum CHI's(or AFD's or Edelbrocks for that matter) were a bit too much $$ than I wanted to spend. I got a super deal on these from a guy who is switching to big blocks, so he was getting rid of all his Cleveland stuff. That's who I got the intake from also. I do see that the alum. aftermarket heads are enjoying quite a bit of sucess, but as with you, money is tight. As for other ones in the area, other than seeing an occasional beater, I've seen a red 72 at the East Aurora Toyfest. Even the post 72 Torinos are unusual here. I guess it's like everywhere else. A Chebby-town, especially with the engine plant right here. Small world!! Later.

5. Rancherous

I know of a Red 67, a couple of 77-79 models, and a guy John who ownes a car lot on Harlem and Mineral Springs has a 72 Q code car. They are out there but as you said its a strong Chebby town. I would like to see your car in the spring after you get it done. I am in the process of doing my 351 CJ as we speak. I just got the block back and now deciding on heads also. I have the 4V open chambered heads. I think I am going to mill them .030 to get my compression up with forged flat top pistons. I really wanted Yates heads but they are just too expensive.

6. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

I have seen the 72 at Southern Classics a few times. I forgot about that one. I actually had to see it when I was converting mine to a 72 to see how mine went back together!!! I heard it's really nice now that he painted it. Where did you get your motor done? I know Paul at J&L is a big Ford guy. Not sure how big of a Cleveland guy he is, but it's better than just Chevy. I'm probably going to him when I swap valve springs and clean the Aussie's up. I work a ton of hours at all hours of the day, so just e-nail me, and we can set something up to check the stuff out. Later.

Dave

7. Rancherous

Johns car looks good now after paint even though I am not a big fan of Green. He picked up a White 72 GTS Fastback with a 400 so he has 2 different 72s now.
    Me and my uncle are doing the Engine he has built many Fords. Just got my block back Fri. so now to get the parts together. The car probably wont be done for another year because I have a ton of work to do and I am going to upgrade the suspension and brakes to a larger front sway bar, cut front springs, and 4 wheel disks. Did you know you can use a 1997 Crown Vic Police Pkg shock in the rear of a Ranchero and its a direct swap. They have a higher spring rate than anything they sell for a Torino and Ranchero. It stiffened up my rear end quite a bit. Here is my car and engine, well not quite an engine yet LOL. Talk to you Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

Bill, that sure is a sweet looking ride. Very cool that it's a 4-speed. That's gotta be pretty rare. As far as the shocks go, I just replaced my KYB's that were pretty beat with a set of Bilsteins. I was amazed that the had them for a Ranchero, but sure enough, they're on it as I type. I'm very pleased with the way they handle also. Probably moreso since the KYB's were dead and I noticed a more noticeable difference. Hopefully I'll be taking my heads in soon to get them cleaned up and swap the valve springs. I can't wait to put the Cleveland back together, but money is scarce right now, so it'll be a few weeks. Later Dave

9. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Hello Dave, I own a 74 Gt that I just finished this past year. Check out ranchero pic's "Dan the ranchero mans ride" April,12, 2004) I have the plate on the back of mine that reads FORD instead of the letters. That set up is from a ranchero 500 (72-76). Glad to have you aboard!

[ December 22, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Dan the ranchero man ]

10. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

Dan, very nice looking ride. I almost switched my Cleveland for a 460, but decided against it mainly since I didn't feel like switching everything over to the big block. Not that it would've taken alot, but since it's originally a C car, I had everything to just slip it back in. Did you ever get the bed Line-X'd? I had mine sprayed a few years ago and I love it!! Take care. Dave

11. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Yes, Dave I did do the Line-X and I do LOVE it! I have had it on my 2000 F-250 and the stuff takes a beating. I have Rhino Linier on my 79 and that stuff looks good, But will not take the beating the Line-X will take. What I also did is my spare tire is now mounted in the box with a nice cover on it. Now the storage area under the box houses my speakers (mounted in the sides) and I lost the stock jack and tire iron for a nice bottle jack and a breaker bar with a deep well 13/16 socket! I also mounted lighting under there so you can see! Turned out pretty nice and it really adds to the usefullness of the interior of this small area.