First Show of Summer '13'

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by TestDummy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not necessarly stupid to rev em up if they are designed to go there. My cam in the camaro engine peaked at 7800 so 8k was not out of the question. The ranchero is another story, it peaks at just over 6k so 6500 is about the most it will see if I can ever get this fuel injection system to work. If they blow at designed rpm then it had a problem to begin with, gotta test em to make sure they work.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It gets real expensive to get a 385 valve train moving past 7500 RPM. You really need shaft mount rockers.
    I also am not aware of other than custom grind cams for the 385 that will run out over 8000. Even if there were, the power wouldn't come on until well after 3000, ruling out ever driving it on the street.

3. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

About twelve years ago when I got my first air-cooled VW 'Buggy I put an 8K RPM tach in it so I could monitor my at the time barely-running, tired 1600cc motor. It wasn't one of those super-sized Autometer's the Ricer's like to mount on their dash, just a small Summit under-dash thing. Not long after I put it in my Dad looked in the car, saw the tach and said, 'That seems rather optimistic.'

Kevin

4. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

I've seen one of those in a picture here recently. Now where was that? Hmmmm....:D

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Right here.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I didn't want one of those clamp-to-the-steering-column jobs all the losers in high school had; the ones that block the speedometer. Where did you mount your tach, if you have one?

6. Denny

Hey. don't get mad at me. I'm not the one who called you a "ricer". :D
    I don't need no stinkin' tach because I'm just gonna be cruising, not racing. If you want a big tach like that, I would agree that's about as good of a place to put it as any.

7. TestDummy

I don't get mad at anyone.
    I just wanted a tach. That's what showed up at Christmas one year. My engine could power 4-5 ricers, easy.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

When was the last time ya went to the optometrist Denny ? That ain't one of those huge boy racer tachs in the pic. I swear some of those guys have tachs that look like old timey foot washtubs, yeah - - That'll make it look faster. Damn things are big enough to hide a semi from view. Ignorance on display, but then we're talking about ricers so - - . Nice Sean, but I'd squeeze in a trans temp guage somewhere if it's gonna' get driven much.

9. TestDummy

My trans cooler is the A/C condensor from a PT Cruiser. After driving to the Dream cruise, with the engine a semi-hot 195 from sitting in traffic, the line from the trans to the cooler was warm, and the one going back was cool. If anything, I need to heat the fluid up, maybe install an inline thermostat if there is such a thing.

10. Denny

Are you kidding? That thing is big enough to hold a life-sized pictures of FF's head! Maybe even Carl's head.:eek:

11. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That's a pretty strange thing to say. You're a werid one, you know.

12. TestDummy

Talking about one mans head is strange enough; but two? Sounds like Denny is thinking of a little ménage à trois, and thankfully I'm not invited. :eek:

13. Denny

You go from a comment about a picture to something like that and FF calls ME strange? Oh well, I guess in the world ya'll live in I am.......and glad of it.

14. TestDummy

Yep, that's about how it went. ;)

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

There are thermostatically controled fluid valves you could use Sean but in the case of your Ranchero that would be gross overkill. I doubt you'll be breaking the Ranch out in cold or inclement weather. Got a 73 F-250 with a C6 behind a 460, my garbage scow. Used to melt the C6 about every two years. I bypassed the radiator heat exchanger and now run only thru a huge Hayden spiral tube cooler with no thermostat. Been over ten years with no trans problems and it get's used in all temp extriemes. Fluid stays cherry red with no black gunk on the stick from burnt clutch facings. You'll be fine like you have it.

16. TestDummy

Heat is the killer of transmissions. I was happy with the setup I have, but wondered if 'some' heat was required. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

17. KenW.

KenW. In Fourth Gear

I didn't want one of those clamp-to-the-steering-column jobs all the losers in high school had; the ones that block the speedometer. Where did you mount your tach, if you have one?[/QUOTE]

Ahem... I like the shift light up front.
    [​IMG]

18. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

With a tach, you don't need a speedo.
    Unless you find it hard to keep track of what gear you are in.:p

19. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Love those gauges, they look so clean in there.

20. TestDummy

Thank you, for both the nice comment, and for making sense.