Flexplate help

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 74Chero, Jan 13, 2019.

1. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Came off a 72 302 with c4 but want to make sure it's the right balance I need

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

According to the Pioneer catalog, the one pictured is NOT correct for your application. It is a FRA-214, 50 oz. imbalance. It looks the same as a 205, with the exception of the long hole opposite of the weight. The hole is how they get the added imbalance to change it from a 205 to a 214. It's fairly common for the converter studs to fit "snug", making it necessary to file the holes a bit to make it fit easier. Have at it, you can't really make them too big, a lot of performance converters have 7/16 studs, so making the holes larger is an absolute must. I've also gone the other way and installed a converter with 3/8 studs into 7/16 holes - once the nuts are tightened, it's fine.

3. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I still have a brand new flexplate in the box for a 289/302 if needed. It came from an Eagle balanced rotating assembly, but since my car has a manual trans it will get the flywheel reinstalled and not the new flexplate. I cannot post pics but can send to anyone's email or better yet phone if interested.

4. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

The weird thing about the flexplate pictured is that it came from a pretty 50oz 302. The engine and transmission that I broke apart are matching numbers 1972. I seen the engine run in the vehicle it came out of and it did not vibrate. The thing that has me is that it does look exactly like a FRA214 50oz flexplate and that's why I'm asking. I'm going to take the flexplate down to the engine shop and see if they can balance it or whatever and see exactly what weight it is.

5. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

If it came from a balanced kit could it be different weight? Idk

6. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It just came from a balanced rotating assembly. All the pistons and rods weigh the same, the balancer is set up for the kit, etc. The flexplate is indeed balanced to the kit and may be a different weight. Unless you plan to turn some high RPM's I wouldn't think it would be noticeable. But hey, I got it if needed.