Floor pan colour question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by jonnie, Apr 7, 2020.

1. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Firstly I’d just like to say how much I’m loving this forum, the knowledge and information here is excellent. Thanks s for all the great advice and help I’ve had so far!
    I have to get a good coat of something on the bottom of my truck before the british climate gets hold of it and have decided to coat it in raptor bedliner.
    As we’re not allowed to drive much here because of the ‘lockdown’ and the work’s all gone a bit quiet, I’ve decided now’s the time to do it.
    My question is do I colour code it or do it black? Were they in colour underneath or just primer and underseal or whatever??
    I’d be interested in anyones thoughts?
    thanks,
    Jonnie

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

It was mostly dependent on the mood of the assembly folks. Some spots might only have red oxide primer while others got a dusting of overspray in the body color. A slow day might result in a uniform color coat, just depended on the mood of the workers. Becausing of not having great luck color matching bed liner, I would vote for doing the underside in black and be happy that it was protected from the weather.

3. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

The Mustangs back then were just red oxide primer underneath and whatever paint oversprayed underneath is about all that is under there. I'm sure Falcons got the same treatment. Black bedliner would look good under there but make sure any rust is stopped before covering it up with bedliner paint

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Forgot to add that in the last of the 1960's Ford moved toward more automation in the painting department. At the end of each work shift Ford dumped whatever remaining color paint into one vat resulting in an olive drab concoction that was then used on the undersides of the next batch of vehicle bodys. It looks like modern day green etching primer. You might run into that as that process was being experimented with in different assembly plants well before it became standard procedure.

5. Chigger1

Chigger1 In First Gear

Yes . Hillbilly's correct. Late 60's early 70's Ford mixed unused paint for use on next day underbodys. It's called Slop Grey. It can be bought through NPD in the Spray can still I believe. I use to restore Mustangs and used the Slop Grey on my 70 Boss 302 resto. It matches pretty close but there are some slight differences because of what Ford Painters had from their days leftovers were never the same mix.

6. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Interesting stuff...
    Raptor is easy to colour code so I think I may colour the bits that would wear the overspray so they match the truck and take your advice and do the rest black.
    It has very badly applied underseal at the mo but this near enough peels of so it should be fairly easy to get off, I’ll remove it and rust treat all areas before applying the bedliner.
    I have ordered new shocks and coils for the front so I think I’ll start there and take the front wings off this weekend to make it easier to clean & probably easier to fit shocks & coils..
    Cheers....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020