FoMoCo cast iron manifold

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Jeff B, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I have inherited what appears to be 1965-ish 289 four barrel manifold. The question is, would it fit my stock 2 barrel 302 heads/engine. If it fits, it would part of my Paxton supercharger setup. Any reason not to use it? I am certainly open to suggestions or comments. Thanks

manioverall104833_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

It might fit depending on the year of your 302 but I'm not sure how that would help with a Paxton SC install. I thought most SC's required their own intake? Taking all that newly compressed air and stuffing it down 4 holes seems counter intuitive.

Cheers,

Doc

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

That is the factory 4 bbl of the 64/65 era they changed it in 66 for better flow not really a good manifold for performance.

Paxton is a centrifugal super charger not a roots type blower. It blows through the Carb.

upload_2019-6-16_4-58-51.png

Shelby choice for the 289

upload_2019-6-16_5-18-52.png

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Doc76251 likes this.
  4. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

It's not even 8 AM and I learned something new. My day is good!!

Cheers,

Doc

Kiwirancher likes this.
  5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It would work fine with the blower, as the boosted application doesn't require a "good" intake (or heads for that matter) to make reasonable power - the pressure overcomes the need for flow requirements.

6. Jeff B

The setup will be a blow thru design. The blower discharges to a "hat" that sits on top of the carb and seals the system. The premise I was working with was what pmrphil mentioned that the air under pressure is pushed into the manifold and cylinders so it is less dependent on flow at no pressure or vacuum. If I can find that the manifold fits and is at least close in port size, I would match the manifold to the heads, clean it up and call it good. I just don't know for sure (yet) if I can bolt that manifold on and have it fit and work correctly. The Paxton setup (at least in my case) is meant to bolt up to a stock engine and give a decent boost of power somewhere between 50-100 horsepower depending on the size of the pulley and the build of the motor. I actually can install the system with my stock 2 barrel setup at the expense of top end power.

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes it will bolt up to your block and heads

pmrphil likes this.
  8. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

It looks like a good candidate for the molasses tank to remove the rust inside.

9. Jeff B

I have yet to try the molasses but I have a couple of gallons of Evaporust sitting here with nothing to do. Have a sandblaster at work for the outside.

10. Basstrix

Fresh evaporust works much faster than molasses...at least at the ratio I mix it (9 water to 1 molasses). It also gives a little short term rust prevention/reduction. With molasses, you have to be on top of spraying down the metal or it will rust quickly.

I have a 55 gal drum of it in the back yard....a 4v Cleveland intake was one of the first things I cleaned. Since you only have a couple gallons, you might construct a simple block off plate and just fill the inside with evaporust.

Jeff B and pmrphil like this.
  11. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I usually start rust removal with the old electrolysis setup: a tub of water, soda, a battery trickle charger, and a sacrificial chunk of rebar. I follow it with some Etch & Prep from Home Depot, a wire brush, and elbow grease. I've never tried molasses.

Joseph

12. pmrphil

I've also never tried molasses, I have a plastic drum (with a heater) with 35 gallons of evaporust to dip blocks and heads in, the stuff is killer.

Hillbilly likes this.
  13. Basstrix

I'll post up some before/after pics with molasses. The main thing going for it is the cost benefit over evaporust. I had the barrel and got a 5 gallon bucket of molasses at the tack & feed store for about $20. Evidently, (from the info I found on the interwebs) it's popular in Australia. Some guys over there were filling up fairly large vessels with it and putting in large body parts...hoods, doors, deck lids, etc....

Phil, were you able to get a deal on evaporust? Seems I've been paying between $15 and $23/gallon off of amazon.

14. colnago

Plus, if you don't clean out the runners, your exhaust will smell like an IHOP for months … :D

Joseph

Basstrix likes this.
  15. pmrphil

No, dammit. :( Well, maybe a little. :rolleyes: But with the heater, it lasts a long time AND does generate more income than it costs.

Basstrix likes this.
  16. Basstrix

It has a unique smell that you don't want to get on you. It's sort of like using diesel in your parts washer....you don't want any on you unless you don't mind smelling it for a day or two. When I was a kid on vacation, every year we drove through the Midwest on our way to final destination...went past a lot of feed lots for cattle....the smell is more like that than IHOP...:D

17. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Chicken farms!! Gadzooks, you can smell them 5 miles away. Way worse than any other farm. It's incredible how bad they smell. Always liked driving through downtown STL when the mash was cooking at Busch. Wait, we're talking about a manifold aren't we?

18. colnago

Yes, we are, but somehow the talk always comes around to booze. Hmmm …

Joseph

19. Basstrix

These were dunked for 2 weeks, I think, then powerwashed and sprayed with WD40. This was the first item to go into the tank and I didn't have my process down...later I learned that a misting of evaporust would prevent that greenish tint (rust) from forming.

20150927_100009-comp.jpg 20151011_161835-comp.jpg 20150927_100009-comp.jpg

colnago and Jeff B like this.
  20. pmrphil

I have found that not washing the parts off after removing from the evaporust also keeps return corrosion away. I have a couple of blocks that were dipped (only overnight) four or five years ago that are still rust free. :)