For CJ Ranchero owners only

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by classic69ford, May 16, 2019.

1. classic69ford

classic69ford In Second Gear

I am restoring a 69 Ranchero with a 428CJ that was residing in Switzerland/Germany area. Was brought back to the US. Unforunately, the Germans did the best they could maintaining it. Lots of aftermarket stuff on it. Invoices/job tickets all in German. Octoleiber!!!! My question is: did the CJ come with a fix fan blade or with a clutch/blade setup? According to Marti it was built late Dec. 1968. If it used the clutch set up, did it use the 68.5 clutch or the 69 unit?

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Have a friend who has a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang with the 428 CJ engine. He had the same question. Due to his research he found that only a few 69's with the 428 CJ came with the clutch fan. Don't know his build date but his clutch and fan blades both have the C-9 prefix in the part numbers. Rick's Mustang2.jpg

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Don't hold me to this, as I read it a long time ago, but I read that car's equipped with A/C had the fan clutch as an option. This might mean your broadcast sheet could say if it had one or not.

4. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Just got back from vacation and saw your post. Mine came with fan clutch non A/c car .
    Will see about getting a pic of it soon will also look at numbers.
    By the way my build date 10/1/68

5. handy_andy_cv64

Interesting. Have you looked to see if the broadcast sheet is there, likely under the driver's seat bottom?

6. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Seats were already done sheet long gone.
    Fan stamped C9ZE-E on backside of each blade, stamped with Ford on front of each blade. With fan clutch from mount to front side is about 2-3/4".

Attached Files:

7. handy_andy_cv64

I'd be curious as to the OP's broadcast sheet.

8. handy_andy_cv64

I looked at the fan pics, and I wonder: Babe's original engine came with a 7-blade clutch fan; would the clutch hub from a 335-series engine fit an FE water pump? If so, there's a modern upgrade with a vintage look, unless the OP is doing a concours restoration.