Ford 9 inch Housing End Help

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by DonC, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I am working on setting up my Ford 8.8 with 9" housing ends. What I bought are some nice Torino housing ends from Moser. I am now confused since I was told by Moser the axle offset for these ends is the same as the 8.8 which is 2.5 inches. I have read that there are 3 types of housing ends for the 9 inch and that the small is 2.5 while the large are 2.375, I assume the Torino is considered a large. Which is correct?
    Thanks,

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Why not just go to a 9?

3. DonC

Because they are outragous in price and getting hard to find around here. The 8.8 is plenty strong from what I have read and there are plenty of them in the junk yard and cheap too. I admit I will still have 1500 tied up in this rearend but a 9" would have run me alot more. Now if I just had one laying around with a decent limited slip carrier I would have went that route. Around here they just don't exist in the junkyards anymore.

4. ribald1

For $1500 you could buy a plasma cutter and a Mig and drop any junk yard rear end you wanted in there with money left over for beer.

5. DonC

I have a plasma cutter, 2 migs and a tig but I have to cut this rearend to a specific length which will require custom axles which run 435 with bearings for a nice set. In my case the junkyard rearend was true junk, bad ring and pinion, clutches and spider gears so I have to replace everything except the carrier itself. Some of the cost is not necessary but just to make it nicer. I could have used c-clip axles which would save me about 150 but I would have C-clip axles which I don't want. Lesson learned here is to inspect what you buy from a yard while it's still under the warranty period. At least I got a good housing, carrier and disc brakes, I guess it could have been worse. Rearends just ain't cheap.
    150 junkyard yearend
    190 for new gears
    100 setup kit
    90 housings ends
    130 new yoke
    149 new aluminum rear cover
    110 new spider gear set
    100 new clutches
    335 axles
    100 axle bearings

6. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

What are you putting an 8.8 in anyway?

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Torino is considered a mid bearing. is the bolt pattern on the housing ends the same as the 8.8?

8. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

they do make a kit to covert the c clip on the 8.8 to a 9 inch retainer style just seen it on power block the 4x4 show they was putting an 8.8 in a jeep out of an explorer,

9. DonC

Yes the same bolt pattern and I did some more research and finally found out I can just get the axles with the same spacing as the 8.8. The bearing size on the Torino is actually the same size as the large Ford ends, but I think it's the backing plate bolt holes and bolt pattern that are the difference.

I just ordered some bearing alignment blocks. These blocks fit into the bearings for the carrier and the housing ends and you stick a 1.5 inch bar through it which keeps the ends in proper alignment with the carrier so you can weld them on straight. Hope this works. I know of folks who don't use the alignment tool and get by but don't want to take a chance with my hard driving habits and the fairly high HP the 347 will have.

10. DonC

No need for a kit if already shortening the rear end. Just change the housing ends and get axles with the press on bearings. Now if not cutting the ends off then no doubt the c-clip eliminator kit is the way to go.

11. DonC

Going into a 62 Ranchero.

12. ribald1

Yah. A 35 or 40 spline 9 will run you about $2500 with disc brakes everything new, including a welded housing. You could shave off about $800 without the housing and brakes if you got those elsewhere.

13. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

It can be done for less than that, besides you need lots of power or lots of wieght to make 35 or 40 spline to make any sense.

14. H8IMPORTS

H8IMPORTS In First Gear

I'm from Birmingham, Al but I have about five 9"s out here. I don't know what gear ratio on length but I can look if I need to. They are came out of trucks, vans or big body Ford cars. So I think they all will have the 5 on 5 lug pattern.

My craigslist add.
    http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2413017325.html

If I can help let me know.