Ford Durango rescue attempt

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Sep 1, 2022.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Since I've owned five Fairmonts/Zephyrs and one '80 T-Bird a long time ago, he's not wrong, he can transplant an entire Cobra Mustang underneath and inside, if he wants. Sadly, even though that six got overheated, I know he'll dump it, instead of rebuilding it and selling it to someone whose Fox car needs that engine. The six-cylinder cars have a crossmember peculiar only to them. The 4- and V8-cars use the same crossmember, and will bolt right up to the unibody.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

It is sad that those sixes were relegated to throw away status. Finding one in decent shape around here is impossible. They have been gone for a few decades in my area. I stumbled upon an 81 AMC Concord with a 258 cid straight six that was hidden in a back corner of a body shop for twenty years. Fourty eight thousand miles on the clock, even the a/c still works. Currently working thru the ancient computer feed-back controlled carb and smog systems to put it back in original functionality. Orphan cars, why oh why does this freak interest me ?

4. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I have always been drawn to these unique vehicles....

5. handy_andy_cv64

Because some of us are gluttons for punishment. I taught myself L-Jetronic FI so I could rehab a '77 Datsun 810 wagon. Man, once I got its foibles all sussed and straightened them out, it was a fun car, even though it had a JATCO-based auto trans. A very good power-to-weight ratio, decent balance and handling for a car with a split live rear axle, I just dug in, figured out why the ignition switch wouldn't crank the starter (all relays back then were case-grounded, they just need cleaned grounds), got the gauges working, figured out the cold start thermoswitch circuit, and replaced the fuel pump the hard way....:(

6. Hillbilly

JATCO = run away as fast as you can to me. Didn't some of those in little Fords have plastic gears ? The Concord looks like a challenge to me, numerous Jeep people have tossed their hat in the ring saying my best bet is to strip the entire fuel system out and start over. I am stubborn though, I want to see for myself if it is as bad as they say it is. I admit that it is a snake nest under the hood. Never had brand new parts given to me before. Went out to the shop and discovered a new intake, headers, and a new in the box fuel injection system piled up in front of the AMC. ????? Don't know who yet but someone want's this car to run. Are AMC folks as clannish as the MOPAR people ?

7. handy_andy_cv64

The Nissan JATCOs must've had all good parts, as that backed their L-series sixes till they replaced it with an OD automatic. I mean, I was able to power brake launch without breaking anything.

And why can't the Parts Fairy take pity on Babe, leave her a pile of goodies in front of her...like a usable garage?:D

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Still want to put 86 up Mustang nose and dash and tail lamps
    on one of those........Maybe even a 4 eye front end

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

I think an LTD front end looked better on the Fairmont body.

10. Hillbilly

LTD LX with the blacked out grill and headlight surrounds looked pretty good.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Right, but on a blue/white custom paint? Plus, if they're available anywhere, they're an arm and a leg. Unless he finds a whole car with a 3.8 V6 or 5.0 V8....

12. Hillbilly

I find it strange how a car design that was found in every other driveway just seems to vaporise from the face of the earth. The Fox variants were very popular in my area but suddenly went missing. Sure, some were wrecked, some were ragged out, but that doesn't account for the huge numbers of them that never turned up on used car dealer's lots. Did a buyer from another country ship them overseas or to Mexico ?

13. handy_andy_cv64

Mexico. They're very popular down there. And I agree, they were everywhere then vaporized within a few years.