Ford electric crate motor

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Minotaur, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Minotaur

Minotaur In Third Gear

FordR500GT likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If I had money, I'd give one a whirl in Babe. Horsepower, IIRC, is even better than a factory EFI 351W:

5.8 liter/351 cid V-8 F-150 / F-250 205-210 / 325-330

And torque is only down just a smidge. So, the question is, is this a self-contained unit not needing a transmission? Is it installed as a transaxle, replacing the driveshaft and live axle? The Eluminator truck has two of those, likely for AWD use.

3. handy_andy_cv64

4. Minotaur

Minotaur In Third Gear

So on the RWD Mach-E, does that mean it has the motor transversely mounted in the back?
    The article says best for transversely mounted applications, but can be mounted other ways as well. If I were to seriously consider making my '63 electric, I'd want to maintain the front engine RWD layout. If it can drive an axle transversely it should certainly be able to power a driveshaft longitudinally.
    Obviously the other hurdle would be batteries and the charging components, and for a vehicle that doesn't see daily use I wonder if that's detrimental to battery life.
    Sticking with the old straight six for now.

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Saff54 and Buds 67 like this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, but did you build the Tesla? If I had the money, and a nice clean place with which to do the work, I'd throw a couple into Babe, and set her up with plenty of battery power to spare.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Coal powered hotrod ? Plus less range per refill than a 429 CJ Torino geared with 4.11 cogs - - - Nope ! I prefer being the one up close and personal whose lead foot is stomping the life outta ' the dino juice. I like the sound exploding dino oil makes especially if running it thru a honkin' big V8. Hey, any of you guys have a stock intake carb, air filter, etc for a 500 cid Cadillac that you want to part with ?

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

9. handy_andy_cv64

Not gonna go for the adapter set that allows you to bolt up a CJ intake?

10. Hillbilly

Nah, want to go back stock to keep from having to cut a hole in the hood. Really nice hearse with super low miles that an idiot wanted to go pro-street on but ran out of money in a hurry. Worth more just plain restored to stock, it's that nice. Dumb #@% tossed the original parts but I got a 2/4 high rise intake with it for trade bait. Not willing to cut the hood and the a/c compressor won't clear that intake anyway.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, got it. If I get a chance to get back to the classic yard, I'll sneak a peek in the GM section for any 500s.

12. Hillbilly

472 and 500 interchange, same castings and trim out parts. Cash for Clunkers got every dang one of them up here, along with the rust issues the coupes had.

13. handy_andy_cv64

That's the weird thing, CFC was not supposed to be used on anything from the '70s; I think the original year cutoff was '86? But, I'll take a look, see what's on PnP's classics list.

14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

[​IMG]

15. Hillbilly

Very astute observation! So ? Looks like a "Takes One to Know One" moment. From my vantage point it looks like I might not live long enough to see a viable transition to an electric vehicle world. I do not see any progress in the infrastructure needed for all that battery charging. Ironic that you see a lot of charging stations powered up by a damn big diesel generator.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  16. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

My son came to visit me last week from CA. He has a new VW t8. Because of the diesel emission fiasco, VW pays for his first 3 years of charging his all-electric car. But from CA to NV, he had to stop twice to charge, at 20-30 minutes each stop & has to plan his trip closely for charging stations. Too me, electric is still not a easy transition, if you put miles on your car.

17. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's how I feel too. For instance, I couldn't imagine the planning involved to do a cross country trip in an electric vehicle (finding charging stations, waiting & charging times at charging stations, hotels with charging stations, etc.). It goes back to what Hillbilly said about the infancy of the national charging network, and I honestly don't see a fully developed network in my boomer lifetime. And, at my age, I could care less- I like the ability to choose my destination at a whim, knowing there will be a gas station on every corner.

18. handy_andy_cv64

It's funny how all of you decry no infrastructure, but remember, it took a few decades to get gas stations built to the point that a standard car could travel cross-country and be able to gas up without having to carry extra gas cans. Give it time, there'll be stations everywhere before you can say 'electro-motive force.'

19. Hillbilly

I think it would have been slightly more logical to build the needed charging stations and reinforce the power grid before trying to mandate a complete changeover to electric vehicles. It took a long time to establish petrol fueling stations in abundance like we are used to today. Even if charging stations become plentiful, serious money will be needed to ensure the electric grid in this country is capable of delivering enough juice. I really don't care for the idea of brown-outs or complete loss of electricity as happens in this era of mistakes our dear leaders have made lately. Ask some Texans about freezing their rumps because of cold temps or some California folks how things work if the wind blows in their area. It will take a huge investment in generating plants and transmission lines just to overcome how close to no juice we really are today, much less what will be needed if everyone loads down the system by having to plug in a car or multiple vehicles every day. Sorry, I don't see anyone working on that part of the problem. Let's go ahead and close more nuke plants, tear out more hydro generating dams, kill all the coal fired generators and shut down the natural gas supply too. I see no humor in how this is being handled.

20. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Having spent many miles in Tesla's, E-Tron's, I3's, and Mach-e's, I can say they are amazing vehicles, and would work perfectly for 95% of the population, including me. A co-worker drives 140 miles round trip every day in his Mach-e and charges it every other day either at work or a home. Of course, 95% of those over 50 years old don't get it.