Front clip swap

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Chas, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Chas

Chas In First Gear

looking for some help. Just purchased a 1976 Ranchero with a 1978 front end. What years are direct swaps for my ranchero?

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

From the looks of the door and qtr panel in your picture you have a 77/9 ranchero not 76 with a 79 front clip

3. Chas

Chas In First Gear

Well that’s interesting. Take a look at the attached, according to the person who built this car said its a 76 as it was the last year for the 460 but liked the front clip look better, while its OK, I like the side by side look. Guess I have some research to do. I looked at the doors and there are no tags, will have to look in some other places to see what the previous owner did. Would more pics help?

Attached Files:

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Is there a VIN number on the dash panel, visible on the driver's side looking through the windshield?

5. Chas

Chas In First Gear

6A48A******
    So from this it looks like
    6 = 76
    A = Atlanta
    48 = GT
    A = 460 V-8 (1975-76)
    6 numbers

Is this correctly deciphered?
    If yes then the body is a 76

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If rear wheel wells have flared arch,its a 77-79.Also a vin # stamp below windshield on structure once you remove dash pad.
    By far the best front clip graf is Dans Montego!Mercury cougars are my second choice.

7. 5.0 Chero

give us a picture of the side the small picture it is hard to tell

8. 5.0 Chero

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Actually, that looks kind of cool. But, a Montego, Cougar or T-bird clip would be cool also.

10. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

Looks like you could do 72-79.

11. Chas

Chas In First Gear

Thanks for the help and yes those are the original pictures from the seller and it does look OK but I prefer the side by side headlights, and a Montego or Cougar clip would be cool. I will keep everyone posted on how this goes, but it may take some time as this is only my second project car and the first one took almost 10 years to complete.

12. 5.0 Chero

when you get a chance post a picture of the lower front fender/door area its hart to tell in the pictures what was done with the dark paint

13. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Capture.PNG

If you follow the beltline from the door to the fender, it looks like it extends almost up to the wheel opening, no such line seems apparent in front of the wheel opening. Looks nicely done.

14. 5.0 Chero

yes it looks like they modified the fenders to fit the doors

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Almost like half and half. The '77-'79 is slab-sided and the '72-'76 are sculpted. My money is on welding two halves together, and the bracketry for a '77-'79 nosepiece.

16. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

They had to modify this to work. The torino/ranchero had different body lines. The 77-79 ranchero follows the 72-76 Montego and the 74-76 elite and cougar body lines. I know this first hand from when the 73 Montego front end was swapped out on the 79 ranchero.

17. Chas

Chas In First Gear

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. Per an earlier request here are some up close pictures of body lines and I’m thinking thinking more the frame/rear quarters are from the 76 and were modified to match the front end 78. What do you think?

Attached Files:

18. Chas

Chas In First Gear

And the plot thickens. See the 2 attached door tags. One shows a 76 the other for engine a 71??? More confused now.

Attached Files:

19. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

That is a tag issued for an engine change stating what emission equipment is required at a smog inspection. In California it is issued after a smog referee certification. Here is a ca. example. upload_2020-3-18_18-58-18.jpeg

20. Chas

Chas In First Gear

So i know the engine isn’t stock and at some point I’ll put a sound byte out, if you go to earlier in this post i uploaded the specs of the engine build, so is the tag put on by the state of California? As i know this is where the car came from.