Front of the motor considerations

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Doc76251, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Second Gear

So there I was thinking......... (for anyone that knows me it is either very expensive or involves "Hold my beer/coffee, watch this", OR BOTH)

There is a bit of a coolant leak somewhere in the front of my motor which gets coolant to puddle on top of my water pump, 351W, PS, no AC. Not exactly sure where and is often not repeatable. 3rrd channel of my brain kicks in, "Momma want's to go cruzing but she NEED'S AC. 4th brain channel, "Those zip ties holding the fan shroud to a radiator that isn't "prezactly a perfect fit" are beginning to annoy me. 5th brain channel speaks up and says the engine bay wiring was done by Edward Scissorhands under instruction of Ray Charles, which is why the headlights blink while driving at night. The 2nd brain channel which had been providing background music via Hendrix 'All along the watch tower' finally chimes in and says "Fix the leak, get an electric fan, spend the $1k for the AC system and go serpentine belt" then goes off to play Billy Idol 'White Wedding' in my head.

ADD multi channel, multi function can be a beautiful thing.......or not.........................

So here are the questions:

Is the parasitic loss of the motor driven fan more than what I will loose by connecting an AC pump to the motor?

Are a couple of V belts better or worse than a serpentine belt system?

Is it worth sourcing a new model PS pump as I have the original 77 pump which is essentially 20 years older than dirt if I am going with a custom belt drive?

Disclaimer: Originality is out the window, this is as custom as I want it to be. I was considering sourcing a Super Bee wing to bolt onto the bed rails a: because it looks cool as hell and b: because it holds up the car cover and tent camping tarp, c: building a custom dash board

Cheers,

Doc

Kiwirancher likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've used the Crown Vic/Grand Marq timing cover, pump and accessories on Babe's 351W (engine and trans came from a '79 Grand Marq), and except for the front oil sump, pan and dipstick for these older cars, the front of the engine just uses the '80s accessory drive components. The big problem is getting the dipstick tube through the A/C bracket on the passenger side, then adapting the CV/GM condenser to fit in the Ranchero core support (core support would need a small amount of cutting, as the condenser connections are both on the passenger side of the core support). I have a thread showing pics of what I did, so if you search "accessory drive" you should be able to find it.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Answers:
    (1) who cares? AC comfort or not should be the question. You decide
    (2) neither
    (3) no
    Super Bee (?) wing or Super BIRD wing? Too expensive. Easy for someone to steal.
    Your opinions may vary, or count for more than mine :p

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Doc76251 asked ... Is the parasitic loss of the motor driven fan more than what I will loose by connecting an AC pump to the motor?

++++

But 90% of the time, most driving, the motor-driven fan is a useless extra weight just being pulled along because that's the cheapest dog-simple way to do it. Go electric.

Hillbilly and ForistellFord like this.
  5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Totally. I had the sweetest fan setup ready for mine, but my Dad, being old school, didn't like those 'newfangled' electric fans.

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I bet you still have that setup. Remember, they are never finished so when you get it back you can do it like you planned.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. TestDummy

The tabs I had welded onto my aluminum radiator to hold the fan have been cut off.

8. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

I like the 2nd brain channel personally..... ;) My thought about the leak might either be the timing cover has a small amount of pitting right where it mates to the front of the engine, hence the small puddle of coolant...… Either that, or the gasket has a tiny leak in it.....

If you're gonna add A/C to it, you may as well clean up all the wiring under hood while you're there...…

I did a new 3 core aluminum radiator and shroud with two 12" electric fans (stays nice and cool now):cool:

9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Who did that?

10. TestDummy

Dad's mechanic friend, who also made the trans cooler lines that are almost kinked closed at the bends.

11. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

The only time I had problems with kinking lines was when I tried to use stainless steel. What a nightmare! Once I changed to using the cheapie carbon steel lines, I could bend them without kinking.

Joseph

12. TestDummy

I have a great set of benders and flaring tools from my Ford Tractor days, but I think they used the edge of the workbench to bend them.

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Put a tightly coiled spring over the part your bending and turn it into a horseshoe without a kink.

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You should see the cooler lines in Babe. I got them from the wagon I got the driveline from, and took great pains to prevent any unnecessary bending. But someone else had installed them, and they are bent to a fair-thee-well, incuding two sections of hose where they cut both lines, I guess to remove the front sections to get the rear sections in.

15. TestDummy

I made so many hydraulic lines for tractors, I consider myself a masterbender.

16. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Similar occupation: Baiting fishing rigs....

17. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Are you sure that there wasn't a misspell on the last word.

18. TestDummy

I was wondering who was going to say that. No, I figured it was going to be you. o_O

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

As if you would have passed it up.