Fuel Tank for a 67

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Alans67Rancho, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Alans67Rancho

Alans67Rancho In Second Gear

2. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks exactly like the one in my 67. Just to be sure I went outside and checked before posting. It mounts upside down reference that pic. The male end connects to the filler tube and is orientated towards the left rear of the vehicle (drivers side), the indented female style opening is where the sending unit goes and faces forward in relation to the car.

Alans67Rancho likes this.
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The autokrafters ad shows the tank in its proper orientation when mounted.

5. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

The tank in my 68 is the one it came with from the factory, and it has a drain plug that faces up!!!!

6. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I just checked my '64. Ditto on what cbolt said. Looks like the drain plug was in the same position as both the eBay and AutoKrafters photos, but it feels like the PO did something to it, because it didn't feel like it unscrews. Doesn't really matter, because it would be in an upper corner, and if I had to drain the tank, I'd probably use the hole for the sending unit (which would also be a PITA, but at least I'd have better access to a bigger drain hole).

Joseph

7. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear

Same tank on my 64. Yes, drain plug is in upper corner. Tank fit perfectly.

8. beerbelly

Some have converted that plug to a tank vent line, to battle the dreaded filler puke.

9. Alans67Rancho

Wow thanks for all the confirmations guys. Color me confused. The tank I removed from the car I assumed (yeah yeah I know) was the wrong one since the drain was inverted. A lot of other things were cobbled together on the car when I got it so I figured this tank was the wrong one. So maybe I dont need one after all. I'll go take another look at it tomorrow but fingers crossed its the same one! Thank you again for all the replies!

10. beerbelly

Hey, that's what this site is for...well that & snarky humor.
    I read somewhere that Ford just made the standard Falcon 16 gallon tank larger and flipped it upside down to get the filler over to the fender side fill rather than the rear fill on the coupes & sedans.

11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

What are you talking about? I've never witnessed snarkiness on this board! :rolleyes:

As far as tank reutilization I can believe Ford just inverted the tank, rather than redesign and have a different part number. The sales numbers were low enough that it was probably a "don't care" for the bean counters. After all, my 'chero is just a station wagon with the roof chopped off. It didn't even get a full floor panel for the bed.

Joseph

12. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Yep, Ford just flipped the tanks and changed filler holes and viola!: a station wagon/Ranchero tank be had. The drain plug does make a good breather outlet..

Attached Files:

cbolt, Alans67Rancho and colnago like this.
  13. beerbelly

Hey Randy, tell me more about how you did this; I'm interested.

14. RancheroRandy

Pretty simple even for a one-armed guy: put fitting where plug was and ran fuel hose up right next to bed (just needed to drill 2 holes in bed bracing) and then drilled one more hole next to fuel filler hose (as you can see in pic) and made a brackets for a fuel tank vent and used existing bolt to mount it...

Attached Files:

15. beerbelly

Thanks; I was wondering if you had to do any drilling. I poked around under there a while back thinking about doing this without drilling, but the hose would have dropped down below the top of the tank, which is a no go I guess. Do you remember where you got the vent? Did it stop the gas puke?

16. RancheroRandy

Got the vent from Tanks, Inc though I think Summit Racing has them. So far, so good on puking, but I usually fill it pretty slow anyway just from habit from previous incidences... :eek:

17. beerbelly

Thanks again; I may give this a try.

18. Alans67Rancho

I have a 77 E150 and 73 F100 and both puke fuel. I always hunt for gas stations with leaning parking lots to help get the fuel in the tank. I will definitely be adding the vent to the 67. Guess its just a Ford thing.