Gas Fill-up Issue

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Craiggersfalcon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Craiggersfalcon

Craiggersfalcon In First Gear

I'm new to the forum but not new to Falcons & Rancheros. I've had several over the years. I currently have a '64 Ranchero that's been off the road for a few years. It's up and running again but I have a fuel issue. I'm aware of the pressure issue with the tanks but what I'm experiencing now happens at fill-up. During fill-up at the station, gas will leak from under the car below the filler neck area to the ground. If I try filling the tank by not sealing it with the hose fitting, it still happens. When I fill the tank using my 2-1/2 gallon emergency gas can, not one drop leaks. I installed a new filler neck to tank hose awhile back as the old one was cracked. All clamps have been double checked for tightness. I guess I need to get someone to look underneath the car when I attempt to fill at the station to see if they can spot something wrong. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Craig R

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you reused the old hose, that is likely your problem.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That, or the new stock the supplier had was so old that installing it split it. Are you sure it was filler hose and not a chunk of radiator hose? One other thing would be a rust hole that's out of the viewer's sight. If you can get a small mirror and bright flashlight, that'll help locate the problem. Any leaked fuel will usually be visible.

4. Craiggersfalcon

I replaced the old, cracked hose with a new hose obtained from a Falcon dealer.
    New hose is molded specifically for this application. It may be defective or have a slit but as I mentioned before all is well when I use my 2-1/2 gallon emergency tank. Filling it that way results in no leakage.

Craig R

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You know exactly where it is leaking, at the point where the filler neck meets the hose, due to it not leaking when a longer tube is used to fill it.
    The why will end up being;
    Cracked filler neck
    Failed hose
    Or failed connection.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I believe Ribald is right- it really can't be anything else.

7. Craiggersfalcon

Thanks everyone! Problem solved. I started with removing the filler neck and did a leak test. It passed! Then I removed the connector hose which I bought new a couple of years ago. Turns out there was a slit in the upper portion of the hose where the clamp attaches to the gas tank outlet. I probably overtightened the clamp. My bad. It only leaked when filling up at the station because the gas enters the tank with more pressure and comes in contact with more of the hose. Thanks again for the assistance. Working on another issue which I will present if I can't solve it.

Craig R